What FREAKING protein skimmer should I get

ysanford

I have been scouring around the net and town looking for a replacement skimmer. I took the advise of another reefer and baught a prizm deluxe 100g. After having dificulties moding it to fit in my sump, I began to investigate other options. Little to my knowledge, the skimmer is not reviewed highly in the reef kingdom. So now I must find another that will meet my needs and preform expected all around $150. If you guys/gals (whatever may be your preferance) wouldn't mind could you makeing some suggestions would be great.

Thanks

ohh and if anyone has one for sale I would be interested as well. I dont' want to post in the WTB section just yet. I am going to need to reseach the skimmer fist.

Edited by thesanfords

I've been looking around a lot for an in-sump skimmer and I'm reasonably sure I'm going to go with the Octopus NW-150, which is around $180. There's also a 110 that comes in at around $150.

One of my major concerns is going to be height and the 150 comes in at 20" tall and only needs 2" additional room for cup removal.

Edited by chrisfowler99

Is the skimmer going inside the sump or outside? or does it have to be a hang-on skimmer?

It will be an in sump application. The only restrictions that I might have is how tall it is. I have about 30" under my tank to utilize.

I've been looking around a lot for an in-sump skimmer and I'm reasonably sure I'm going to go with the Octopus NW-150, which is around $180. There's also a 110 that comes in at around $150.

One of my major concerns is going to be height and the 150 comes in at 20" tall and only needs 2" additional room for cup removal.

Do you know of a place that I could find some reviews on these? Or have you used them in the past? This hadware hop is getting frustrating I just want to get it in and be good.

not meaning to thread-jack here but does it have a nipple for remote collection cup...if not couldn't you drill/tap one in for remote collection?...just an idea...My Bullet 1 says it need 2" for cup removal....but i just run the remote collection cup....aka the coke bottle. haven't needed to remove the cup at all...eventually I am sure I will need to but then I just take it off of it's stand :D

FYI if the cup is not self cleaning the neck gets gunked up and then the skimmer is less and less efficient. It is a good idea to clean the skimmer neck as often as possible for the best performance.

hehe...I said ...haven't needed to yet...and eventually I would need to...It has only been a week ;) but Yes that is a good point to put out there...wouldn't someone misinformed

Edited by Capt. Obvious

Do you know of a place that I could find some reviews on these? Or have you used them in the past? This hadware hop is getting frustrating I just want to get it in and be good.

I spent a good amount of time on RC reading through the lights/skimmers/etc... section

Then I ended searching on the model and reading through the threads talking about it. It seemed everyone was very happy with them.

And the 22" of total room needed is huge for me.

I have been looking for an inexpensive one myself. This is what I am gleaning so far.

1) If they are new an less than $125 or so, particularly local, they probably are not very good. This would include Coralife, and probably just about anything available at Petsmart or Co. Unfortunatlely the prizm rates a little better but still 'not good".

2) The only two I have heard of new and less than $200 that are pretty good are the Aqua C and even a little better the Octopus.

3) Euroreef and it's cheaper clone ASM are even better but these only in our price range if they are used and available.

I'm sure there are many others but these are the only one's I have really run into thus far in my search.

I bought that ASM G Mini (rated for up to 75) from Nick/Zoo yesterday. It seems to make a heck of a microbubble storm but the motor/impellar is a little too noisy to be right beside my bed. You could have it for the $50 I paid for it. They are only about $125 or so online new.

What I have done thus far is work in reverse. If something gets mentioned as being available then I go research it.

Bill

I have been looking for an inexpensive one myself. This is what I am gleaning so far.

1) If they are new an less than $125 or so, particularly local, they probably are not very good. This would include Coralife, and probably just about anything available at Petsmart or Co. Unfortunatlely the prizm rates a little better but still 'not good".

2) The only two I have heard of new and less than $200 that are pretty good are the Aqua C and even a little better the Octopus.

3) Euroreef and it's cheaper clone ASM are even better but these only in our price range if they are used and available.

I'm sure there are many others but these are the only one's I have really run into thus far in my search.

I bought that ASM G Mini (rated for up to 75) from Nick/Zoo yesterday. It seems to make a heck of a microbubble storm but the motor/impellar is a little too noisy to be right beside my bed. You could have it for the $50 I paid for it. They are only about $125 or so online new.

What I have done thus far is work in reverse. If something gets mentioned as being available then I go research it.

Bill

I have a coraline and it was a POS. Stay away from those.

Now I have the EuroReef RS-80 that I got used for $120 and its great. I probably need a bigger one though to really pull out all the gunk.