Anemone Question

ReeferMadness

So, I purchased a running saltwater aquarium off of Craigslist for $100, great deal to say the least. The tank came stocked with a Watchman Goby, Blue Damsel and a Rock Anemone ( or thats what they guy I bought it from said it was) and about 50-60lbs. of live rock. Got the tank home and set the live rock back up with the Anemone close to the top of the tank to optimize the 65W of PC that came with the tank, which I now think is insufficient for this little guy. Went to bed last night and everything seemed fine. Woke up this morning and much to my dismay the Anemone had dislodged itself from the rock and is now chillin in the sand bed( which is not deep at all, bare in some places). I tried to identify the Anemone with no luck and I don't know what to do at this point. Any suggestions, should I move him back up to the rock or closer to the top of the tank. Thanks for any help!

post-798-1234377796_thumb.jpg

Well, it is very hard to tell from the picture, but it does kinda look like a rock anemone.

Anemones will detach/move when stressed, or the the flow/lighting has changed. Most rock anemones I have seen in tanks are normally near the sand bed.

Well, it is very hard to tell from the picture, but it does kinda look like a rock anemone.

Anemones will detach/move when stressed, or the the flow/lighting has changed. Most rock anemones I have seen in tanks are normally near the sand bed.

IS there anything I can do?

IS there anything I can do?

I would refer to blinside and Cool Breeze for info, as they have kept rock anemones. My info was just general based.

But most anemones will re-attach to a rock in a short period if there is no flow pushing them off. You might try push it up near the rock work.

anemones will travel when need be.

I cannot get my Sabae to stay where I want it....it always travels back to the same cove on the same rock...without fail. Until recently...I placed a rock with a couple mushrooms on his ledge/cove and it apparently disrupted the flow enough to bother him...he now has moved a good 8 inches away and is completely happy.

My tube "anemone" loves light (which is the opposite of what I read on the Internet of most) but hates flow change and noise. and hell he was only $5

My new Carpet anemone came free on some live rock and was about the size of a half-dollar...i got him in a bucket of 70 degree water...he had been there for at LEAST 4 hours...he was flat as a pancake...found him (he was unexpected) and literally just tossed him in my daughter's nano...no acclimation no anything...just plopped him in there (i know I'm a *%^%(). he hit the water he almost immediately started swimming....hit the sand bed and crawled up the rock...found a place he liked and has been doing great ever since.

bottom line...if your flow/feedings/lighting/heat and other parameters are all within "spec" any HEALTHY anemone should be able to fend for them selfs.

Edited by Capt. Obvious

Let it be. It will find a place it likes

Cool, thats kind of what I figured, but just wanted to make sure.

bottom line...if your flow/feedings/lighting/heat and other parameters are all within "spec" any HEALTHY anemone should be able to fend for them selfs.

All the parameters seem to be on point, minus the lighting, but the guy I purchased it from said it had been in there a long time under just the 65w of PC.Any suggestions on a specific food for it?

Thanks for the advice everyone, much appreciated!

-B

Edited by ReeferMadness

Cool, thats kind of what I figured, but just wanted to make sure.

All the parameters seem to be on point, minus the lighting, but the guy I purchased it from said it had been in there a long time under just the 65w of PC.Any suggestions on a specific food for it?

Thanks for the advice everyone, much appreciated!

-B

anything meaty....and more light. :)

avoid brine...unless it is somehow enriched brine...mysis is better...krill...squid...