My 15 min filter sock adventure

Capt. Obvious

After reading how easy (and cheap) they were to make and the great benefit they provide I embarked on the journey to make my own filter socks.

I made my 1st 1/2 arse attempt at one....no measuring just cut and sew....took 5 Min max...I couldn't find the power adapter for my wife's sewing machine...so subtract 3 min from that time...2 min to churn it out.

I attached it to the drain line of my protein skimmer...no cords no zipties no rubberbands....just slipped it on....let it run for 5 min and this is what I got when I turned it inside out.....

3268569740_cc8843e386_o.jpg

YUMMY!

the material in the background is your "before pic"

it not only removed all that crap but also removed almost all microbubbles..

and i just hand rinsedit under myRO and threw it back on....

I Heart Filter Socks.

Going to add one to each overflow and my skimmer outlet (but add hanging cords)

ok i know that is only 10 (or 7) min depending if you want to count the lost power endeavor....where did i get 15 min you ask....taking the picture and making this post :angry:

Edited by Capt. Obvious

Nice work young Watson. Did you take the thirty minutes to make my 2 :angry:

I haven't even made my "real" one(s) yet.... this was me effin around with the idea....and that is just water recirculating in my sump...nothing from my display....and my fuge is "cut off"

these things are super awesome

I have hand washed this one 4 times already (ro/di and no soap)...the water is starting to really clear up

Edited by Capt. Obvious

I'll take a couple too.

I guess I do owe you for borrowing the trashcans for so long..what dimensions do you want?and do you want a string sewn in? (and to you want double loop or single ...meaning a loop of string on each side or just one loop of string...and how long do you want the loops)

I am a true believer in filter socks. One thing a lot of people comment about my tank is how clear the water is. Just remember they need to be changed and washed often. At least once a week. Otherwise the crap they catch will start to rot and turn into a nitrate factory. I turn mine inside out and brush off any big stuff. Then I throw them in the washing machine and run them on cold water with NO soap. HTH.

What material are you using to make your own?

100% polyester felt (undyed) and not the real furry stuff...it is refered to a "felt pad" "craft felt" or "felt padding" it is made from recycled bottles and crap so you can fell all good about yourself (if your into that sort of thing)

Really cannot tell you the "micron" of it...all i know is it really works great...and sturdy. most people online double stich theirs....i double box-end zig-zag stich mine...makes them **** near indestructable.

I think the only saving grace to the fact that you know how to "double box-end zig-zag stich" something is that you can't spell "stitch". ;)

BTW...looks like it works well. cool.gif

hell I don't even know if that is what it is really called...and yeah I suck at spelling today... so -5 points for me...I still get an "A"

Gonna have someone try and make these for me! Where did you get the material? I would try but sewing isnt my thing. lol

all you have to say is "please"...and give me 3 bucks and tell me the dimensions you want. Do you plan on making the meeting this weekend?