Building a reef setup from the ground

Nathan Explosion

So I think I have a good handle on how to keep a saltwater tank going. I have started with a FOWLR tank and had good success, now I have been getting some corals (noen green starburst, mushrooms, leather's, zoas) with good success also. I want to start getting into the larger reef set up. So I am gonna be building my own stand, and building a custom light, and I need some advice and pointers that other people wish they would of known when they started.

My first thing is that i konw slow is better. I dont plan on stocking it to the max rite away, i mite have a couple of fish 6 line wrassel, mandarin dragonette (i had one for 3 years till my seal went out and drained my tank on my floor :D ) some green chromis, and fire fish.

LIGHTING- I am an electrician and also have had experience with digital electronics technician exp. I am gonna build my own light (not 100% for sure on that yet) but was wondering for a 75 gallon tank I hear people saying like 8 watts a gallon. I was wondering where people get their supplys for that stuff, what light spectrum (in general) corals prefer. The only reason I ask is because I am thinking about instead of using MH or VHO I might use LED's (like hundreds of them) and they will cover the spectrum with over half the watts being used. But I need to know the spectrum that (in general) corals thrive on.

TANK- All I know about the tank rite now is that it is either gonna be a 75 or 90 gallon, dont know if its glass or acryl. but i know that the filtration is gonna be a sump and it needs to be drilled. Anything else i should maybe know or you would reccomend? i am just looking for ideas on how to do this the rite way this time.

FILTRATION- Is gonna be a sump. This area I dont know anything about, this is where the most advice would be helpful. I want the skimmer to be able to used inside the sump. I want an extremely clean looking tank ( no cords or pipes that obscure the view) When I build the custom stand I will be plumbing all hard lines in, around, and under the tank. Power heads, what kind are good and economical. This part to me is the most important, is there a set up that you guys use that works great, or a set up that you wish you bought?

STAND- I am building a custom stand, its going to have a 1.75" thick granite slab for the top with pre drilled holes for the plumbing, then 4"x4" uprites, a 29 gallon ( the tank i have now ) QT. the whole front will be removable, as will the sides for easy servicing. Anything that you would reccomend that you wish your stand had? what else should i be wanting to put inside? filtrattion is the area where the help is needed the most.

i have come to realise that planning is the way to go. when i first got into fish tanks i had NO idea on what to do, everything was trial and error. and if i could do it over i would of saved a lot of time and $ in the process. i plan by next year having this thing up and going. not even stocked, just the tank rock and water. thanks for the input, it is much needed. if you have any ? just let me know.

Sounds like you have a good start.

As for the lighting. All that I have read and heard about LEDs is that they are good for Softies and some LPS but not bright enough for SPS. I know they keep getting better so that may have changed by now. I think you need to decide if you want SPS or not. If so that will affect not only your lights but also the amount of flow you will need. The other question would be your budget. If you are willing to spend the money I would look at Vortecs or a wave box. That will also affect your skimmer choice.

My best piece of advice I can give you seem to have already learned. Plan and research as much as possible before jumping in so you don't make a bunch of "upgrades" along the way. Also go with the biggest tank you can fit into the space you have designated. I have never heard heard someone complain that they should have gone smaller.

I bought a small 4 LED light from Dr Foster and Smith and my soft corals seem to love it. It is just 4 10K LEDs and my soft corals seem to love it. My mushrooms starting budding like crazy. I would like to build a better one with more white and actinic lights. Here is the link:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...mp;pcatid=18485

I bought a small 4 LED light from Dr Foster and Smith and my soft corals seem to love it. It is just 4 10K LEDs and my soft corals seem to love it. My mushrooms starting budding like crazy. I would like to build a better one with more white and actinic lights. Here is the link:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...mp;pcatid=18485

Hey, those are really cool! Might have to look are supplementing my current lighting with some of these.

Hey, those are really cool! Might have to look are supplementing my current lighting with some of these.

thanks for the advice! As for the LED's on doctors fosters and smith i get the mags and have seen them, they look cool but you can build and install them in your current fixture for like a 1/10th the price literally, they are so easy! thats why i was asking about them. and using rite around 225 if them instead of 4 like you get. you can also get blue ones that are almost the same spectrum as the acentic ( i cant spell).

here is the filter system i was thinking about putting in let me know what everyone thinks...............

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...mp;pcatid=18999

in conjunction with..................................

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...mp;pcatid=13648

I think we have or had some of those led lights at river city

We need a RCA down south. I truly don't have much time to get out and about these days, thus delivery to the door is about the only way I can get stuff for the tank.

I was very happy to find out that RCA is 5 minutes from work, and directly on my way home. :D

The only thing directly on my way home is the Salt Lick.

(Ok, sorry for hi-jacking your thread ... back to helping the tank setup).

Is there a reason you are looking at both the sump and the in-line filters? The inline filters seem a bit overkill, you could put the heater and chemical medial in bags in the sump.

The only thing directly on my way home is the Salt Lick.

(Ok, sorry for hi-jacking your thread ... back to helping the tank setup).

Is there a reason you are looking at both the sump and the in-line filters? The inline filters seem a bit overkill, you could put the heater and chemical medial in bags in the sump.

i just was going with the some filtration is good and more is better, would get the sump or the inline filters? one reason i like the inline filters is that i (at least i think) i dont have to get my tank drilled and they just look like a neat and clean setup. I could be totally wrong with that :D

you need a RCA up in minnesota!

$ the way i look at it is if i get stuff here and there for the next year i wont even blink at spending a couple thousand. but all at once is a different story, i guess i am wondering what kind of system is best for a reef in that area, what do you guys have because your tanks are AMAZING! i enjoy looking at all the pics and it makes me a little envious. ALSO i have discovered i bet everyone here knows this already) that using a black light also makes colors jump out, does anyone else use a black light with their tank?

Edited by Nathan Explosion

My octopus is great but havent had much experience with other skimmers, It pulls out alot of junk, I empty it out every other day or if it fills up.

could i get a specific model #? there are a lot of different ones and they range form like $200-$4000, I never knew they could get that expensive!!! i know they can go a lot more expensive then that!!!! thats pushing buying a new snowmobile!!!! but the fish tank i enjoy just as much or maybe even a bit more since i can look at it 24-7.

In the set up how much $ (if you dont mind) did you spend with out live rock and frags and so on?

Mine is the Reef octo110 but wasnt near that much $ it is rated up to 110 gallons hence the name. I dont have frags yet.... but I spent around $450 on tank and stand(no canopy yet), $100 on 2 koralia 4s, got old sand from a guy in San Antonio(just cleaned it up real good as it had some dieoff going on), Made my own sump for $20 approx. 20 gallon, and a $65 on the return pump. Also got my light from this site for $100. The rock is what gets you I paid $3.50 a pound for live rock but used 20 pounds base rock. There are alot of small stuff like heater, test kit, thermoter, etc.

Mine is the Reef octo110 but wasnt near that much $ it is rated up to 110 gallons hence the name. I dont have frags yet.... but I spent around $450 on tank and stand(no canopy yet), $100 on 2 koralia 4s, got old sand from a guy in San Antonio(just cleaned it up real good as it had some dieoff going on), Made my own sump for $20 approx. 20 gallon, and a $65 on the return pump. Also got my light from this site for $100. The rock is what gets you I paid $3.50 a pound for live rock but used 20 pounds base rock. There are alot of small stuff like heater, test kit, thermoter, etc.

thanks for the advice guys! its gonna save $ (and mite raise the cost of the tank) but is gonna ROCK! i cant wait to get it up and going !!!!!!!