Green hair Algae Problem

Rjohn

I know from the posts that other people besides me are having green hair algae blooms. They are trading a sea hare around to keep it in check. BTW, I saw a couple for sale at the Aqua Dome on Ben White. Odd looking things, aren't they? I also saw an article on Craig's List that gives a treatment. Search for "Bryopsis". The administrator will not allow links to Craig's List, apparently. Has anyone tried this treatment before? Are there any downsides to the treatment detailed there?

I know from the posts that other people besides me are having green hair algae blooms. They are trading a sea hare around to keep it in check. BTW, I saw a couple for sale at the Aqua Dome on Ben White. Odd looking things, aren't they? I also saw an article on Craig's List that gives a treatment. Search for "Bryopsis". The administrator will not allow links to Craig's List, apparently. Has anyone tried this treatment before? Are there any downsides to the treatment detailed there?

treat the cause NOT the symptom...that is all. :D

treat the cause NOT the symptom...that is all. :D

+1 to this. The cause is most likely excess nutrients and light.

The article sounds a bit scary. If you are raising a tank parameter high enough to "melt" a living plant in the tank, I would imagine it could do significant damage to corals (which have "plants" inside them). Or at least cause significant stress to the non-hair algae in the tank.

My solution when I had a hair algae attack, was:

1) Treat the cause (in my case, water quality .. switched to my own RO/DI water, and added a skimmer).

2) Added more turbo snails. They ignored the hair algae for a few weeks, then BAM!, it tasted like candy to them. Cleaned up the 24g in a matter of days.

+1 to this. The cause is most likely excess nutrients and light.

The article sounds a bit scary. If you are raising a tank parameter high enough to "melt" a living plant in the tank, I would imagine it could do significant damage to corals (which have "plants" inside them). Or at least cause significant stress to the non-hair algae in the tank.

My solution when I had a hair algae attack, was:

1) Treat the cause (in my case, water quality .. switched to my own RO/DI water, and added a skimmer).

2) Added more turbo snails. They ignored the hair algae for a few weeks, then BAM!, it tasted like candy to them. Cleaned up the 24g in a matter of days.

thats where my problems are at rite now, green algae. its kinda coarse hair that grows like little shrubs that i can pluck but my snails clean around it, i think they are spoiled and only eat the tastiest of algae in my tank :D

Edited by Nathan Explosion

I have two large turbos (golf ball sized) and they ignore it totally. I have a protein skimmer but I do not have a RO/DI setup. I hope to get one in June. I can scrape the hair off by hand but it is not completely gone and it tends to grow back fairly quickly. I think my next purchase will be a Sea Hare from the Aqua Dome. I have read good things about them. I also have read that putting marine snow, phytoplankton, etc. in the tank for the soft corals is a waste of food (and money) as the soft corals use very very little of it. It just adds to the protein burden to be gotten rid of. Any thoughts?

Here is what worked for my hair algae...

1. Used TESTED RO/DI water (0 TDS)

2. Installed a phosban reactor, using media sold on bulkreefsupply.com

3. Turn the lights out for a few days. Remember, it gets cloudy over the ocean too.

4. Don't feed so much.

5. Consistent water changes.

This is what I did, not all at once, but throughout my years. All seem to make a difference. Hope some or all this helps.

Jame

Marine snow is fish poop. If you have fish you have snow. Phytoplankton can help with some organisms, like baby clams, but is usually not needed. They can definitely add to your nutrients being out of whack. I think the RO/DI, less food, and more water changes, along with a few more snails should do the trick eventually. Remember your rock can store excess nutrients and slowly release them back into the water so it may take a while.

when you say that you don;t have an RO/DI setup currently surely you don't mean that you have been using tap water right? RIGHT?!?!? (please tell me you aren't)

if you ARE using tap...there is your problem....tap water is SH*T...high TDS...chlorine...flouride...etc...etc....

all that equates to fast algae growth

I have two suggestions:

1) Use RO/DI water

2) Buy a few Mexican Turbo Snails. These things eat every type of nuisance algae I've encountered. They are without a doubt some of the best inverts I've ever owned. One of my buddies had a bad case of hair algae- he tried everything with no success, but these little guys did the trick. Try them!

-Daniel

By the way, I got my turbos from Aqua Dome. They're like $3/each.

-Daniel

I have two suggestions:

1) Use RO/DI water

2) Buy a few Mexican Turbo Snails. These things eat every type of nuisance algae I've encountered. They are without a doubt some of the best inverts I've ever owned. One of my buddies had a bad case of hair algae- he tried everything with no success, but these little guys did the trick. Try them!

-Daniel