What is this?

Rjohn

Jake at River City said it was a type of polyp. It looks like a mat. The little "hairs" are completely withdrawn. It seems to be growing rather quickly. I have had it about 10 days and it is half again as big as when I bought it. We like the wavy movement of the "hairs". One of the employees brought it from their tank to sell at River City.

113737249868.154.210.162.jpg

Erythropodium caribaeorum

Also known as the Encrusting Sponge, the Scleraxonia form is the only type of gorgonian with an encrusting nature. This coral is frequently confused with corals such as star polyps and pipe organs (of which it is a relative) that feature polyps of similar shape and appearance.

Encrusting gorgonian polyps of approximately half an inch in length that emerge from its skeletal body to feed, they can full cover its entire bottom structure when fully opened. This tendency can sometimes cause problems for this encrusting gorgonian coral. To the outside observer, accurate identification is difficult, since the blooming polyps take up the majority of its appearance. Additionally, the encrusting gorgonian will frequently expand over other corals, literally running over anything in its path due to its fast growing nature. This attribute makes the encrusting gorgonian extremely competitive with a variety of coral species, sea anemones and other cnidarians.

It does look like the encrusting sponge thing. It does not look like Briareum. It does not have separate polyps. It has a mat like star polyps. Thanks pincer7. I apologize for doubting you. I have never done a frag. I am way too new at this. Give it a month or so and I might be willing to let you harvest a frag, Capt. O. I live in Hutto so we are not too far apart.

It does look like the encrusting sponge thing. It does not look like Briareum. It does not have separate polyps. It has a mat like star polyps. Thanks pincer7. I apologize for doubting you. I have never done a frag. I am way too new at this. Give it a month or so and I might be willing to let you harvest a frag, Capt. O. I live in Hutto so we are not too far apart.

sounds good....I'd love to swing by sometime and see your setup...and your welcome to come and look at mine.

Hell, I'll even teach you some frag basics..may even give you a frag or 2 :D

Edited by Capt. Obvious