Kessil AP9X Heat

ckyuv

Hey y’all, wondering if anyone has messed with the ap9x that kessil has and knows if it’s much of a heat generator? I was testing the waters in getting back into tanks and got a biocube a few months ago. It’s a heat magnet to the fullest and won’t work out lol. Looking to do a Red Sea reefer 300 and hoping to hit it with lights and equipment where I don’t have to buy a chiller if possible. Not seeing to much online and figured asking people in Texas was a good start. I have seen multiple pics where people have fans on the water with them and not sure if that’s why 😝

Edited by ckyuv

What!  You;re feet aren't wet yet?!

I haven't messed with one but since it's pulling 185 watts it's going to generate a fair amount of heat at full power.  Looks like the heat is vented out the ends so it's not blowing down on hte tank.  The light itself will heat the water and corals a bit but your pumps are likely going to be the major source of heat.  If you'r erunning a UV it can add quite a bit also.  CHeapest and easiest way to cool a tank though is with evapoartive cooling and mounting a fan in the stand to lower the heat and himidity in it would be an unobtrusive way to do it.  

Heh, I made it as far as some torches and some zoas that are baking in a 14g biocube and realize I need something way different before I jump all the way in. Here we go again, just like I remember 🫠

Alright after reading about the lights all day it didn’t seem too bad. The pics of people’s tanks with fans on the surface worried me. I bit the bullet and did the kessil. Gona try with mp40s to keep the pumps out of the water and want to try to go without a skimmer and hopefully that will keep some heat out. The tank is going by the back door and the kids were apparently born in a barn so want to make sure I don’t take the tank to 100 degrees in the summer if the door is open all day lol 

My AP9X is mounted way higher than I thought would be OK.    Tim and I measured the PAR and it is strong, and mine is what? 18"-20" over the water?   I cannot measure now, I'm down at the coast for the weekend.

If you are worried about heat, raise it up.   Their power penetrates.  It's almost too strong.

• Like 1

BTW I love that light.   Power went out the other day.   When the power came back on, the thing automatically resumed where it left off on the time schedule.   Automatically connected to WIFI etc.   Top notch light.     Zero complaints about it. 10/10

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Grog said:

My AP9X is mounted way higher than I thought would be OK.    Tim and I measured the PAR and it is strong, and mine is what? 18"-20" over the water?   I cannot measure now, I'm down at the coast for the weekend.

If you are worried about heat, raise it up.   Their power penetrates.  It's almost too strong.

Oooh good to hear, thanks. 

On 5/13/2023 at 8:39 AM, Timfish said:

They make spring loaded door hinges that will close doors. 😁

I duno why I never thought of this since the door to my garage also has this already… I’m totally going to Home Depot today. 

• Like 1

I've got the AP9X on my Waterbox 60.2. It's mounted about 12" above the water. It currently maxes out at 15% since the two clusters are only 7-8" apart. I have no issues with heat. If you put your hand under it once you get about 10" away I didn't feel any heat. I love the light. I'm going to be upgrading the tank to the Waterbox 90.3 so it should work great on it. Current tank is 2ft, new one will be 3 ft. Like Grog said, it's a great light and very clean and sleek looking.

PXL_20230514_212218623.jpg

• Like 2