help with skimmer

blindside

I have a hob red sea pro skimmer, I set it up around 11 today am. And all it does is make pumping noise and foam, but not in the collection cup, the water will not successfully suck in continuously, it just kind of pumps up and down, any help ? Please

I have a hob red sea pro skimmer, I set it up around 11 today am. And all it does is make pumping noise and foam, but not in the collection cup, the water will not successfully suck in continuously, it just kind of pumps up and down, any help ? Please

i had the same problem does ur cup have the two little barbs to conect to on it? if so your supposed to conect to the left till the chamber fills about 10-15 sec then move hose to the right barb once the inlet chamber fills. I have a prizm too i had somewhat of the same problem. Dunno if this helps any.

I know what's wrong with it........ It's junk. The red sea prizm skimmer should be banned from production. A far better option, similar to the prizm, would be an AquaC Remora HOT with overflow box. A friend of mine was very limited for space where he put a tank and bought the prizm skimmer to run on one end. He could barely get it to work. After a couple of weeks went by the skimmer cup would be full of a really wet skimmate. He would have to tear the entire skimmer down and clean it before setting it up as the intake tubes would gunk up at about the same rate the cup would fill.

No amount of fidgeting, tweaking, cleaning, or tuning it would produce the level of enthusiasm as tossing it did. He honestly said it worked better in the garbage can than it did on the tank. And he was finally rid of that constant hum it made when running. It did provide some laminar flow when the intakes where not gunked up.

I would. I have a prism an was relieved to get a new one. I just need to get a sump going to hook it all up. Those prisms are a pain in the ***. I'm constantly taking it apart to clean it. It either runs wet or not all sometimes. Goodluck.