Another one bites the dust! or, why contollers shouldn't control critical equipment, or, Redundancy, Re . . .

Got a really sad phone call this weekend! Friends called while on vacation and their house sitter had called to say all their fish were dead! 😪  Checking it out for them their pumps were plugged into an Apex and none were running even thought the apex  EB8 power strip showed the outlets were on.  Plugging the pumps straight into a wall outlet they immediately started running.  

I certainly understand the attraction of reef controllers.  But what I've seen with the reefs that use them there's about a 30% fialure rate of some kind by the 5 year mark.  Excepting some wavemakers, in contrast what I've seen with return pumps is less than 10% at 5 years.  Considering reef systems should live decades if not longer and they haven't made a pump yet that will run that long always try to design systems with equipment failure in mind.  The failure of any one piece of equipment shouldn't cause death of a systems inhabitants.

• Timfish changed the title to Another one bites the dust! or, why contollers shouldn't control critical equipment, or, Redundancy, Re . . .