Which heater should I go with

fishypets

I have to disagree. I have one of those that I only use for my mixing water now. It was at least 4 degrees off if not more. If I didn't have it on my RK2 it would have fried my tank. I can't remember the brand of the one I sue now but it was the one John and Brian recommended. It has worked like a charm.

I don't trust heaters at all. Too cheap to be reliable. I would run an EboJager if I had to run it stand alone, and I would size it just big enough to do the job (or better yet get two smaller heaters). I have a Won Proheat titanium heater which I really like because it is difficult to break unlike the glass Ebojagers. I wouldn't trust the Won heater stand alone though and only use it because I have a RKII controller. If you don't have a full blown controller I would get one, or at the least a good single stage Ranco controller.

Edited by Entropy

I have had the opposite results than Gabriel with the Stealths and Ebo so I guess it all 'boils' down to checking. I think they both hold a fairly steady temp it's just the calibration may not be accurate.

Bill

How necessary are heaters in Austin on large tanks? I've been contemplating if I really will need one.

Depends on how cold you let your house get IMO. I use one all the time on my 135 (45g sump, so 180g total). I let the downstairs drop to about 60 before the heat comes on since we are upstairs at night.

I think I have a spare EboJager in the junk box if you ever hang out in the Round Rock area. I think it is a 250w version. I can check tonight when I get home.

I work in Round Rock so maybe we can hook up one day when I get off work. How much do you want for it?