Manderine and Sexy Shrimp

ACampbell

Only if I can train it to eat frozen?!? Have any tips?

I probably don't know any more about them than you do. But I've read that often LFS will train them to eat frozen before they sell them. That's probably your best bet. If you can get them to feed one in front of you before you buy it, all the better. I also hear that having a refugium is the best way to go with these fish. They like their food to be live. Hatching brine shrimp eggs, pods, that sort of stuff you taught me how to do last summer. My scooter blenny is related to these fish and have similar feeding habits. I've been tossing it pods and hatching brine eggs but last night I found it was eating a piece of frozen brine shrimp. Very encouraging. This is happening after hatching eggs once or twice a week. But I doubt I'll be able to fully ween it off live pods and brine eggs in lieu of frozen.

I think your success will hinge on competition. I am not sure the exact area mandrins come from, but the other fish in the area must suck at hunting pods, because just about everything I have seen hunts better than a mandrin. If you can target feed them without competition I think you will be fine, but if you have hungry mouths all around I wouldn't get your hopes up.

So what is the consensus. Is a sexy shrimp food for a manderine? I imagine if a manderine could eat a whole PE mysis, it might could take out a small sexy?

The mandarin's mouth is really tiny. I have a hard time imagining they could eat a sexy. I haven't seen a sexy as small as mysis before, maybe baby ones are that small I guess.