FLATWORMS

tropheusmaster

i just found out today that what i thought was alge is actually flat worms (a ton of them) to many to treat with flat worm exit as toxin will kill everything in tank. has anyone had a severe problem with flat worms? and how dod you fix the problem? i have too many to treat and way too many for a fish to eat

Let me tell you my experience...I have a 30 gallon tank I use for frags and breeding bangaii's....it had a SEVERE flatworm problem...I was scared to death to use the Salifert Flatworm Exit because of value, hundreds!!! of dollars in corals and the bangaii's life in general. If you follow the directions EXACTLY as stated, you will have not a flatworm in sight!!! Everything is perfect in my tank. I did this 3 days ago. It is the toxin from the dying flatworms that you have to worry about. But using it is SIMPLE...just do it right!!! Siphon as many flatworms as you can....add the exact drops needed for your size tank....have the proper amount of carbon ready....have a 25% water change jug ready....your done!!! The directions are direct and simple...you also have to stop running the carbon, UV sterilizer and protein skimmer while treating. The directions give all the specifics. I swear by it now. I will mentions that my frag tank is all soft corals, but I do not think it affects any type of fish or coral, according to others and their experiences also.

Good luck and let me know how it works for you!!

Laura :(

Hi, Thanks for the info and your personal experience. since i posted this i have read alot of info. I was scared of the flatworm exit due to my tank being a 180gl and the massive amount of flatworm that will be dying and releasing toxins. my reseach brought me to believe i need to get as many out as i can before tratment. I tried to build my own suction hose with large clear tubing (i use to do water changes) and a powerhead, but did not work, i made a mess and stopped up powerhead with sand. so i bought some airline tubing and a stiff piece of tubing and begain siphoning. boring pain in the butt work but i have done it twice today and i removed thousands. i will continue to do so daily. i also bougth 2 wrasses to eat them. after a week if not under control then i get the flatworm exit and there should not be enough left in there to harm tank with toxins. also all my corals are softies too.

Edited by tropheusmaster

oh you can edit your mistakes KEWL!!

Oh btw - you probably read the same thing. But what I read also mentioned you should set aside some time if you nuke em to try to siphone up the dead ones as quickly as possible also.

for rigid tubing i bought it at the fish store it is clear stiff tubing looks like the airline tubing except it is stiff about $2.00, i have been siphoning everyday and removing hundreds. this weekend i have decided to remove every rock 1 by 1 and siphone them off and scoop off the sand and add some more sand.

i do have chromis. i have 5 of them i have 2 wrasses, I have shrimp and crabs but they dont even say hello to the flatworms much less eat them

Edited by tropheusmaster