In your opinion, which is the best additive/supplement product line?

pbnj

In your opinion, which is the best additive/supplement product line?  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hello:

Just getting started on my 75 galllon reef (still curing live rock). Looking forward, I was hoping to get everyone's advice on the best additive/supplement product line?

Thanks in advance for your participation.

First off; welcome! :huh:

What are you looking to be supplementing? Ca/Alk? Mag? Trace elements?

I use ESV b-ionic for Ca/Alk, and Kent Tech M for mag. In my opinion these are the only things

that need supplementation. Water changes should take care of most everything.

Also, remember don't supplement what you can't test for.

Another question, what are you using the canister for? If not using as a media reactor, I'd get rid of it.

dosing is because you are planning to keep corals right? if you are NOT keeping coral, this is not needed (also depend on which kind of corals)

I was not clear on your original post on what are your plan. anyway, you already have your answer from Robb

if you are planing to use a calcium reactor, then forget about dosing, it's a much easier route ( cost more up front, check for use parts ), like many member here, I also added some mg rock in the reactor, to give the tank everything that it needed in one place.

I dosed Bi-ionic and mg also for a couple years, but now think of it, i should have gone straight to the reactor from day one. Save time, $$ and tank is much healthier (I think 75gal is not a small tank, so CA reactor is highly recommend)

It take sometime to self learn about the chemistry of the reef :-) at least for me, so take your time and decide.

I dosed Bi-ionic and mg also for a couple years, but now think of it, i should have gone straight to the reactor from day one. Save time, $$ and tank is much healthier (I think 75gal is not a small tank, so CA reactor is highly recommend)

Thanks for your response.

In your opinion, would a 75g with proper lighting, a good protein skimmer, a calcium reactor (w/mg rock), and proper water changes not require ANY additives/supplements?

Edited by pbnj

In your opinion, would a 75g with proper lighting, a good protein skimmer, a calcium reactor (w/mg rock), and proper water changes not require ANY additives/supplements?

I am curious about this myself. Most people that I have talked with will still 'feed' their corals. Opinions vary of course on what that should be. The jury seems to be out about adding Iodine and Strontium.

Bill

> Good water flow in the tank to help distribute and remove waste in the tank.

NO additive needed (assuming your CA reactor is tuned correctly to match the tank demand)

Took me a month before dialed my home build reactor to match the tank level (learn process with the help of the people in this forum), during this time, i do have to add Ca or Alk on the side to even out

if you ever get yourself into problem, just change water, that is the first thing to do.

PS. i used to add just about any thing under the sun that look promising when I first start out keeping reef, all i can say is, it does more harm than good. (iodine, strontium, trace elements ...you name it)

Edited by bananags