2 more 'What's this' questions

Bill B

I have a couple more hitch hikers I was looking for a good guess on.

The first pictures, my guess is some sort of anemone, but what do I know. It is definitely growing and it definitely prefers the dark. It was really stretched out and open in this shot right after I turned the light on. The thorny looking tentacles? are brownish, maybe even with a tinge of purple. I am curious if any knows the name, but more curious if it is detrimental - stinging for instance.

The other I cannot get a pic of but may be very common. In my 29 I have noticed these little tiny tubelike straws. They are maybe 1/2" long. Not much thicker than a piece of straw on a straw broom. In this tank they tend to be brownish with a little white on the end. However in my 75 believe the same things are growing much quicker and more plentifully on the stoney base of a torch and many of them are anywhere from half to almost completely creme white. Some are currently smaller but they never seem to get much longer, that I have notice. I also notice there may be a bunch of them starting to spring up on the rock it is sitting on. They are hard and brittle - I think. I do recall if I have touched the white ones yet but the brown one's were.

Inquiring minds wanna know. :huh:

Thanks

Bill

post-648-1224569818_thumb.jpg

post-648-1224569835_thumb.jpg

Looks like aptasia to me. Better get some aptasia killer before it spreads all over the tank.

We have tons of worms like you described. They are tiny little feather dusters, they filter feed. They help keep your water clean and I think they are something interesting to watch. We have a ton of them growing on the glass in our refugium. you can scrape them away but they aren't harmful.

This is my best guess.

Looks like aptasia to me. Better get some aptasia killer before it spreads all over the tank.

We have tons of worms like you described. They are tiny little feather dusters, they filter feed. They help keep your water clean and I think they are something interesting to watch. We have a ton of them growing on the glass in our refugium. you can scrape them away but they aren't harmful.

This is my best guess.

Thank you Lauren - I appreciate any responses. However, unless this is a different variety I don't think it is aptasia. All the ones I have seen have been semi translucent brown and mostly tentacles, or whatever they are called. This has a milky white cylindrical tube In fact there is probably another inch of the tube which is not in the picture. Perhaps they were already withdrawn or this thing is maturing but this is the first time I have even seen the thorny looking protrusions on the top. This is going to be a stretch but the first time I noticed it it looked somewhat like a xenia if you cut it so only one inch of the base remained - whiter, smoother sides and more delicate looking but that's one image that comes to my mind.

The mini feather duster tube worm sounds plausible. I just have never seen the frilly part of the worm extended.

Thanks

Bill

"The first pictures, my guess is some sort of anemone, but what do I know. It is definitely growing and it definitely prefers the dark. It was really stretched out and open in this shot right after I turned the light on. The thorny looking tentacles? are brownish, maybe even with a tinge of purple. I am curious if any knows the name, but more curious if it is detrimental - stinging for instance."

It might be Majano. If so, def take the time to deal with it asap before it gets out of hand. Some people like Majano, though. Offer some to Gabe. He loves them! ;-D

Majano Info @ Wet web media

Looks like a Majano to me! KILL IT! I would suggest taking the rock out and chipping off the section under the Majano. Most products do not work and Joe's juice made it worse. They are not to be messed with. They will spread and they are impossible to kill.

As for the tubes it sounds like Vermitid snails to me. At the base of the tube is there a little bit of a swirl? If so they are mostly harmless unless they get out of control. I have only heard of one instance of that happening.

Looks like a Majano to me! KILL IT! I would suggest taking the rock out and chipping off the section under the Majano. Most products do not work and Joe's juice made it worse. They are not to be messed with. They will spread and they are impossible to kill.

As for the tubes it sounds like Vermitid snails to me. At the base of the tube is there a little bit of a swirl? If so they are mostly harmless unless they get out of control. I have only heard of one instance of that happening.

Thanks for your responses.

I still am not sure this is majano, although I am definitely keeping an eye open to that possibility. All of the pictures that I have seen thus far, of majano their tentacles seem much more numerous, longer and oftentimes more bubble tip looking. It is a little harder to pick up but not only does this have very few spiky tentacles (10-12) but there is also a series of much finer 'fringe' which is turned downward. Perhaps my wife influences me too much, with her reverence for all creatures, but untill I am a little more sure it is a bad guy and/or a majano I think I will just keep an eye on it.

Gabriel, you are square on with the vermitid snails though. I read up on them and their little spider web snares. Perhaps a future topic but I have an Emperor 280 that came on this tank. As I was changing the filter pad a little bit of the detrius escaped back into the tank. It looked like New Years Eve at Times Square. There were suddenly little streams of web all over the place.

Bill

• 1 month later...

This looks like majano for sure. If you look at the attached link, at the bottom of the page they have a picture of a mature version as well as one that looks like yours. You need to get rid of this, or you will be sorry!

We had aptasia in our tank, got some pepermint shrimp, and they really took care of it. However, we let it go for a while not really knowing what it was and my husband is like your wife...not wanting to kill it if not necessary.... I'm glad we were able to get rid of it.

http://www.seahorse-nw.com/Predators.html

This looks like majano for sure. If you look at the attached link, at the bottom of the page they have a picture of a mature version as well as one that looks like yours. You need to get rid of this, or you will be sorry!

We had aptasia in our tank, got some pepermint shrimp, and they really took care of it. However, we let it go for a while not really knowing what it was and my husband is like your wife...not wanting to kill it if not necessary.... I'm glad we were able to get rid of it.

http://www.seahorse-nw.com/Predators.html

Thanks Jen

I must confess I have not done anything with this because it just didn't look that similar to any pictures I have seen and my shot was not that great. But your link looks very similar to it - certainly close enough to get it out. Fortunately it is growing from under a rock which I am only using for support and has no corals growing on it.

Bill

I want to say that majano is a type of aptasia. However, the stuff my hubby and I had looked different than what Bill has pictures of......either one is no good though. NOT something you want in your tank!

My husband and I used a combo of Joe's Juice and peppermint shrimp. I honestly think that getting rid of our aptasia had to do more with the shrimp and less with the Joe's Juice. I read an article somewhere that you can actually inject these things with lemon juice and that will do the job too (I haven't tried it). You have to get a syringe from the pharmacy (you can buy them....just ask for one at the counter) and use concentrated lemon juice. You have to inject it directly into the object (I think in the lower part...or the "stem" is where you want to inject it).

Sorry, but Majano is not a type of Aptasia. They are both types of anemones. Believe me, I am an expert when it comes to Majanos. Peppermint shrimp wont touch them. Joe's Juice made mine spread. Cut out the rock where it is. Don't try to cut it. If you leave one speck of it it will come back. Break the rock and throw it away!