spiderwebs in my tank?

mcallahan

I did a 10% water change today as part of my normal routine and returned to my tank about 10 minutes later to find this spiderweb looking white stuff all over my tank. I have no idea where it is coming from, but my best guess would be that my BT anemone didn't like my water change and puked its guts out?

Anyone have any ideas?

Pics of the white stuff:

IMG_1955.jpg

IMG_1956.jpg

Does this happens after you feed your tank? It might be a worm that is burrow into the live rock and when it needs to catch food, it puts out a stringy slime to capture food particles and then retracts them back to its mouth. Just something to look at.

Does this happens after you feed your tank? It might be a worm that is burrow into the live rock and when it needs to catch food, it puts out a stringy slime to capture food particles and then retracts them back to its mouth. Just something to look at.

Hmm...not really. I saw these cobwebs when I first moved the tank, but they mainly disappeared after that. Then today these cobwebs suddenly all re-appear all over the place.

Spooky tank!

It's mucus netting from an invert living in the rock. They usually will make tubes that protrude out from the rock but usually in darker holes so you won't usually see them.

I had quite a few in some of my previous tanks and I used to watch them send the nets out and then particulate would get caught in the netting and they would suck it back in and feast on their catch! Pretty neat to watch if you've got 30 minutes to waste!

-Steve

It's mucus netting from an invert living in the rock. They usually will make tubes that protrude out from the rock but usually in darker holes so you won't usually see them.

I had quite a few in some of my previous tanks and I used to watch them send the nets out and then particulate would get caught in the netting and they would suck it back in and feast on their catch! Pretty neat to watch if you've got 30 minutes to waste!

-Steve

well that would explain why within about 15 mins, it was all gone.

Spooky stuff Steve!