How do you go out of town?

John Thompson

Curious how you manage being gone for more than a few days? I have auto top off that will last two weeks, no problem. I have an auto feeder, but haven't taken it out of the box yet. I imagine you folks with large setups and lots invested do something more than this. Do you have reef sitters or some such? Need some ideas. Thank you!

I use the apex, i love the trident and alkatronic. i set up the AFS to feed pellets, the DOS does 10% water changes on sundays and doses the 2 part. The Versa doses the KZ products i use with exception to the refrigerated products. but im working on a solution for that using a 4 can micro fridge. 

Wyze cam, auto feeder, setup a bigger temporary ATO reservoir. Adjust skimmer to barely skim or turn it off. Biggest thing I do is simulate nobody being around for the exact or longer amount of time before I leave. I also have someone come check 1-2 times a week. I have a 24 gallon cube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My have a rodi hose i connect to my topoff for when i leave the house for any time longer than a week. it has 2 float valves and the line has a neptune solenoid valve that will shut the valve off if the salinity get to low or trips the high level sensor in the sump. i us the tunze ato that will shut off as well with its sensors if it runs to long.   

Pet sitter or friend to feed frozen in the evening every day (and my doggos), coupled with remote monitoring (apex with trident and a security camera) for piece of mind.
Water change right before and right after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All my systems will go a week without needing any attention.  I  have autofeeders and either ATOs or large sumps that will handle at least a weeks worth of evaporation.  A couple of my systems go 2-3 weeks without needing any attention like this one in my thread here:  https://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/40758-icp-test-results-90-gallon-mixed-reef-w-tapwater/