Losing coral to yellow sponge

tennisjad3

I have this yellow sponge that seems to be encrusting over my rocks (in a pretty rapid manner). I've noticed that every coral it approaches ultimately stops opening up and begins dying. So far my huge yellow polyp colony and trumpet corals are getting the worst of it. 

Question here is - is there a certain invert or fish that will eat the sponge? Or is there an effective way of killing/removing it myself? (Manual removal, expose it to air for awhile, etc)?

Thanks

I've got the same kind of sponge but mine is orange, it's actually a godsend. It's perfect for eliminating pest palys and zoas.  

Sponge is pretty easy to kill.  Exposure to air, but the best way is physical removal via scrubbing with a toothbrush or suction.

There are people who will buy it to help eradicate palys, zoas, and xenia.

There are butterfly fish that might eat it but they are not really good choices for an aquarium.  Here's a video I posted in the video section on using stainless steel straws to remove unwanted algae and polyps that should be usefull for you.  Just an FYI but while cryptic sponges are very beneficial in recycling the labile DOC in a system research also shows some sponges work with algae to create feedback loops that are detrimental for corals so removing any nuisance algae also would be beneficial.