STN in Pocilopora from anemone sting?

Todd Council

During some tank maintenance last weekend I ended up moving a pocilopora that has been in the tank for a couple of years. Unfortunately my long tentacle anemone has moved up the rockwork and was coming in contact with the coral. As a result the coral is showing some damage right where the tentacles were meeting the coral. I moved the coral to the sandbed and away from the anemone but damage has been done. I have taken pictures and am monitoring the spread of the STN. The pictures below were taken this morning before the lights were on.

20200131_074826.jpg

20200130_191825.jpg

Will the slow tissue necrosis continue? Should I pull the coral and do an iodine dip? Should I frag it up to healthy tissue and dip it? Love some feedback.

Todd Council

20200131_075120.jpg

Ouch!  I would definitely do an iodine or coral RX dip.  Getting stung can cause a shift in the colony's holobiont and a secondary "brown jelly" infection that can work it's way across a healthy looking colony.   If practical,  returning it to the same lighting and flow conditions it was growing under might help reduce some of the stress the colony is experiencing.    

Thanks Tim,

That's what I did. I came home yesterday and the infection was spreading. So, I pulled it out dipped it into Coral RX and fragged it into 15 pieces. We'll see how it does. I have 4 or 5 colonies in the display tank that came from frags that I broke off of the mother colony during maintenance so I'm not too worried. Besides, this stuff normally grows like a weed.