Phyto and Pod Culturing

victoly

Does anyone culture pods and phyto locally? I would love to start culturing them to seed my tank, and I think they could be a really valuable resource for the club and for all our respective tanks. Anyone have thoughts or experience to share?

• Like 1

I have some Nannochloropsis going, but no copepod cultures at the moment. I had rotifers going for a little while in the house, but let them go “au naturale” in a 5 gallon bucket outside in the backyard.

Like Dogfish said, YouTube is a good resource. Up to you how small or big you want for your setup. You can get started for pretty close to nothing, the biggest expense will be a light and air pump unless you have spares laying around.

When you get your setup figured out and if you want some Nanno and/or some f/2(fertilizer) to get started shoot me a message.

I’m envisioning something co-op ish. I would love to have more than anything the justification to do a project like this and have everyone contribute in some way but primarily because able to benefit from having high quality pods available for their reef !

I’ve been down the YouTube rabbit hole and have moved on to the “who else is doing it here” phase so I don’t unnecessarily duplicate the work of others around town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So perhaps explain a little more of your co-op vision. Some people raise the phyto and others raise the pods? Or some people raise certain phyto and certain pods? Or all duplicates and act as backups if another member crashes?

Also when you say duplicate the work of others, do you mean use a successful setup of another, or do a different species?

• Like 1

Maybe a combination of all of those things. A few people, distributed geographically in a way that makes most sense (e.g., north/south) have batches of phyto and pods going such that they can be used by the grower and then also by contributors. A contributor would be a person who gives either cash or material to the grower to compensate the grower so that they don't have to take a loss. Furthermore, their time is valued and pods/phyto don't go to waste. From what i've read, to keep constant production, you have to make more than most people can use. 

• 3 weeks later...

I think this is a good idea. I have a rotifers culture going that is use to feed my baby clowns. No babies to feed at the moment but I plan on keeping the small batch going. I take a little out every night and dump it into my tank. Everyone is welcome to it if you need it.

I can donate the air pump, i have a couple different sizes, what size do you think it needs? I get pods delivered every month from algaebarn, but it would be nice to stop paying them and put the money back into the club if we can workout the details. 

I have equipment to donate for the cause. Just come pick it up. I believe I have the following:

Air pump + air line
Buckets
Mesh screens of various micron sizes to siphon out rotifers etc.
Can’t remember what else off the top of my head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

SO I'm bringing this back up from the dead now that everyone has a little more free time. I volunteer as tribute for the south location. @Dogfish can I come grab your extra pod culturing setup?