Well this is all great news. So glad I mixed my brand new tank with a potentially tainted salt [emoji24] As if all my mystery problems with my current DT for the past 1.5 years wasn’t enough. Well I guess I can run carbon on this new tank like crazy before I move anything over and hope for the best

Just now, victoly said:

Its probably fine my dude. I think its just insolubles that you can mechanically remove. throw on some filter socks and call it a day. 

Thats what i would do, run carbon, use filters. for a start up it be fine id imagine. My tank is still 60% IO and 40% tropic marine and everything is starting to do better.   

Well I just got home from my field assignment and headed to the tank to throw on some filter socks when I saw that it cleared up while I was gone! So weird that it took so long... maybe adding sand and the particulates from that helped precipitate out whatever was suspended for so long?
d1cca2737859088094cacc74c271a570.jpg

• Like 4

To my wife’s pleasure, I got the frag tanks moved out of the living room and into the fish room. Took me a whole day, but all the tanks are now plumbed together.
0fe123fe92dd6a7007467f37f00aa279.jpg

c462afa615811be1d47406d4e2b3afbb.jpg

I also got the Radions hooked up to my Apex, so I will be working on programming those lights soon.
9f93df89c95360fdd04c81f5ff62779e.jpg

I seeded the tank with new rock that has been sitting in a brute for the past month and rocks from my frag system to get the cycle going. Turned the lights on tonight to get a quick photo
3329044ff91eb758115edb4b74477e8e.jpg

• Like 4

What’s the green and hairy on top ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

One of my gigantea anemones. Debating keeping them in an anemone dedicated tank in the fish room, or displaying them in their own 1/3 side of the display tank. They are called gigantea for a reason, and I have 4 of them...

Well unfortunately I think I’m going to need to install a mini split AC unit in the fish room. It’s been one of those periods of the year in Austin where it’s not cold enough outside to make the house cool, but not warm enough for the central AC to run.

I insulated the fish room pretty well, so when the ambient temperature isn’t cold enough and there’s no air being pushed through the AC vent, heat is building up pretty well in there. I walked in this morning and it was a balmy 84 just from the few pieces of auxiliary equipment running and the dehumidifier running. I’m thinking if it’s this warm when it’s in the mid 60s outside, what’s it going to be like when the garage temperature is reaching triple digits?

It might be different in the middle of summer when the AC is running most of the day and pushing cool air into the room, but I’m wondering if it’ll be enough once all the equipment is in there and running 24/7. Also I don’t want these temperature spikes in the spring and fall when the house temperature is in this limbo. Probably better off just biting the bullet now and installing a unit.

• Like 2

Right now is a hard time to keep my fish room regulated.

One day its freezing so heater dries the room out. Next day it humid as can be outside and 80 degrees. I dont want to turn on the a/c just to keep the fish room cool and dry.

Just now, Dogfish said:

Right now is a hard time to keep my fish room regulated.

One day its freezing so heater dries the room out. Next day it humid as can be outside and 80 degrees. I dont want to turn on the a/c just to keep the fish room cool and dry.

Yes! Exactly the issue I'm running into now. The house was so muggy yesterday, and that's with the aquariums isolated in their own room now. We had to turn the AC on for 30 minutes just to bring the humidity in the house down a little. My fish room straight up feels like the tropics, even with the dehumidifier running. The dehumidified does a decent job of keeping the humidity low, but it generates so much heat that it warms up and creates more evaporation. I think the best solution is to just install a dedicated AC unit for the room. As much as I hate to continue to dump money into this room, long term I think I will be happy with that decision.

I dont have a fish room, but the Nest thermostat i have installed is by where the tank is, it has humidity settings that i can kick the a/c on when the humidity gets to high in the house. I hope that one day the Alexa will do more with the Apex to help control temp with the wifi thermostats. I use the alexa on the apex and can do some option with it but not much really. 

My problem with putting a vent fan in there is when I draw the pressure in the room down, the easiest source of new air is from the garage from under the doors. And in the summertime, that air is going to be nice and toasty. Also when my wife parks her car in the garage, that air is nice and rich with CO2. I would prefer to have neutral or positive pressure on the fish room so as little garage air as possible is drawn in.

what about an in room portable type? like a 12,000 btu, you can exhaust  into the garage through the wall and it could still look nice in the garage with a dryer type vent on the outside? they are like 339.00 for a 450sq room. they have thermostats and all that, and built in dehumidifiers. 

1 minute ago, victoly said:

It’s gonna make the garage hot and humid. Also the efficiency is junk unless you have one with two hoses that has intake and exhaust to the exterior.

Thats true, i didn't think about that it would be using salty air for intake, prob not a good solution.