Trident vs. kH Director vs. kH Guardian vs. Alkatronic

victoly

In the not too distant future, I'm going to need some type of alkalinity monitoring and control on my tank. So, like the good nerd I am, I whipped up a comparison spreadsheet. The manufacturers have made it pretty hard by all offering their own value propositions. For instance the trident also measures ca/mag, the kH guardian has tank safe waste product, the alkatronic has built in dosers, etc. 

What IS comparable is the cost. However, that too is challenging because cost isn't just what you pay for to take the unit home. Manufacturers are making a KILLING on the reagents. However, saving grace, at least two of the meters can use a DIY reagent, which totally flips the script. I looked at them on a three-year cost to own, which hopefully includes all costs for a three year period. I broke that down into a cost per month, which should paint the picture pretty well. Ill post a second one where DIY reagents are used, and the costs stratify even more. 

This first chart IS using manufacturer reagents.

image.png

Here is using DIY reagents. kH director may have the DIY reagents, but i havent been able to find them. The trident definitely does not. 
image.png

Like I said, they all have their own features and shortcomings, but there is certainly a wide spread of operating and capital costs which is exacerbated by making your own reagents. 

• Like 3

I have the alkatronic ive not hooked it up on the newest build just yet, but i test my alk, its pretty stable and dont have a great need for it TBH. but my tank is not sps heavy. but ive been looking at the reefbot vs the rest. i like the ability to test the variety of tests. I do like the Alkatronic, but only testing one in todays age with the tech thats out there for 800 bucks is a bit much in my opinion. 

• Like 1

I really probably should have included the reefbot on there. The hangup for me personally with the reefbot is, what do I do with this data? I can't use it to control my alk. What can I do with the rest of the parameters? Tell me when to do a water change?"

The data hoarder in me would *love* a reefbot. But 900 PLUS test kits for whatever you want is just too much IMO. 

I agree on the steep price, thats why i havent pulled the trigger on it yet, ive added it to my cart like 4 times lol, but just cant bring myself to checkout. i keep waiting for the Trident to come in stock, but even still. I really like the ability to test No4 and PO3 and alk, mg and calcium. but that price ugh. 

38 minutes ago, Reburn said:

I'M ages old on my research is the KH guardian one that you can do DIY reagent for? Got a link?

The kHGuardian, the alkatronic and the kh director have DIY reagents. They are all using acids to titrate the alkalinity in the water until it meets a particular pH. To make the DIY solution, you take a fixed amount of RODI water and add small amounts of acid. 

Heres the instruction for the KhGuardian
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/khg-diy-or-alternative-reagent.358231/

The alkatronic is similar:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diy-alkatronic-reagent.639360/

Same with the kH director 

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/alternative-reagent-for-alk-monitor-kh-director-and-prob-others.459282/

The trident is a little more challenging because they use several reagents plus a reference seawater solution. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mhart032 said:

I agree on the steep price, thats why i havent pulled the trigger on it yet, ive added it to my cart like 4 times lol, but just cant bring myself to checkout. i keep waiting for the Trident to come in stock, but even still. I really like the ability to test No4 and PO3 and alk, mg and calcium. but that price ugh. 

In my perfect world, I would run a kHGuardian and a reefbot. 

• Like 1

I'm running one of the first gen KH guardian.  I dont use the alk dosing option as I have found it to be not too accurate.  It is good for a general glace to see if there has been a change.  The reagents have been super tricky to get with coral vue having them out of stock normally.  Thanks for the link.

• 1 month later...

So just to follow up, I got the KHG, and I love this thing....
image.png

I dont have any consumers of alk in my DT yet, BUT i am about to start a little experiment with sulfur denitrification in, which will be an alk consumer. So... all in all, the KHG is a winner for mr so far. 

• Like 2