BBMarlin's 125G - Skimmerless SPS Reef

BBMarlin

My aquarium will be here next week!   The custom planet aquarium I ordered is a 48” x 24” x 25” with an internal overflow, crystal 36 sump and a gray stand.  I initially was going to go with an external overflow but since my tank is against a wall and feedback from @Jimbo662 regarding the noise of the OEM external - I felt it made more sense for me to go with the internal overflow.  I love taller tanks, so I decided to go with a custom aquarium that added a solid 4” to the height of the tank compared to the prefab builds.   

I ordered another custom “kit” from eztube to extend my OR T247 light rack to 4 lights.  You can see my custom light rack that I designed in my other build thread here: 

Still need to assemble the new light rack and figure out how I’m going to attach the two light racks together to make my 4-light fixture. I had great success with 2 of the T247s over my 76 Gallon, I figure adding 2 more T247s will be lighting overkill for this 125.  I would rather have too much light than too little for this SPS dominant tank (can always adjust downward) , I'll take PAR measurements once I get everything set.

Circulation will be driven by el cheapo Jabeo PP-20s.  My experience with Jabeo has been mixed, I’ve found that as long as you keep their circulation pumps running at a lower setting they tend to last.  If you run them full blast, they crap out on you in < 6 months.   Their return pumps seem to be solid however.

No skimmer will be used in this set up unless something prevents me from controlling nutrients with simple water changes.

I’ve always used 2-part dosing to control chemistry for my demanding SPS coral, once I get this tank stable and growing I plan on plumbing in a calcium reactor to eliminate the PITA with two-part maintenance.

I’m fortunate to have a sink adjacent to my tank that I will plumb a RODI unit directly into my tank for topoff and no longer having to lug 5-gallon jugs upstairs!!!! 

For controlling I will use a APEX Jr. for those very few items that I need to control/monitor remotely.

**I'm going to try my hardest to not overstock this tank with coral - and provide significant spacing between frags.  This to prevent SPS colonies from gowning into each other - I believe this has caused me issues in the past.**

Pics coming soon.

Edited by BBMarlin

I gotta agree with Jolt.   :D

The cause of problems in systems that have been trouble free for years is a real puzzler.  In my systems that have run for one or two decades there certainly appear to be cycles where some animals don't seem to be happy and then everythings good again.  I know from the research I've read corals are affecting the bacteria in the water and those bacteria can change over time.  There's still a lot we don't know about individual coral's immune systems or how they change as they become mature but Dr. Wright's research shows it varies at the genotype level.  I suspect there's a lot of combinations that like fish may work when there's a group of juveniles but when they mature not so much.     We know different  taxonomic groups promote different microbes  in the water column (one) (two).  So I can't help but think we need to pay a lot more attention to the conditions individual coral species are found in nature.  The Strawberry Shortcake acro being one example which is found almost exclusively in association with other acro species

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, jolt said:

Nice to have a sink right there!

Indeed!  I'm thinking I will go with a RO/DI reservoir under the tank with a float and still run a ATO.  I will plumb the RO/DI unit to the sink and to the reservoir in the stand and run it manually when I'm running low.  This way I can flush the membrane before I use it, and I won't have to worry about floods as long as I don't forget to turn the main going to the RO/DI unit off.  I really wanted to just leave the RO/DI running all the time and not have to worry about top off any more but this is probably not worth the risk.  @jolthow are you doing it on your larger tank?

I have a 60 gallon RODI reservoir in my garage and the RODI unit is in the house on the same wall as my washer/dryer.  I use a float valve on the tank to shut off the flow, and I have a booster pump with a pressure sensor shutoff switch.  I manually run the RODI unit whenever it looks like the big tank needs topping off.  When it's full the float closes which turns off the booster pump.  I also have a HM Digital FM-2 filter monitor that beeps at me when it the flow is cut off.  I don't like to leave the RODI unit on when not needed.   My ATO pumps draw topoff water directly from the tank in the garage.

5 minutes ago, jolt said:

I have a 60 gallon RODI reservoir in my garage and the RODI unit is in the house on the same wall as my washer/dryer.  I use a float valve on the tank to shut off the flow, and I have a booster pump with a pressure sensor shutoff switch.  I manually run the RODI unit whenever it looks like the big tank needs topping off.  When it's full the float closes which turns off the booster pump.  I also have a HM Digital FM-2 filter monitor that beeps at me when it the flow is cut off.  I don't like to leave the RODI unit on when not needed.   My ATO pumps draw topoff water directly from the tank in the garage.

That sounds like a great setup!  My garage is directly below the tank and I certainly have considered a similar configuration.  I would have to drill a hole in my floor to accomplish this and not sure what kind of pump I could use to deal with ~25 feet.

59 minutes ago, jolt said:

I use the diaphram pumps from Avast Marine.  They are noisy but it pulls from the garage up through the ceiling down the inside of a wall, probably like 45 feet or more

This sounds like a good option for me.  Thanks.

Edited by BBMarlin

Progress update!  Ran two hoses through the wall down to my garage where I already have a 65gallon tank for my RODI.   For one of the hoses, I plan on using my Tunze ATO with the Avast diaphragm pump to pump water up to the tank.  I will repurpose my DoS pump for continuous water change with the effluent plumbed into the adjacent sink drain, need to get another tank in the garage to accomplish this.   

This is such a big improvement over my previous set up, I’m really excited to bring everything online!

IMG_5925.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jolt said:

That avast pump will be loud, fair warning!   I put mine at the aquarium, not at the RODI tank.  It works like a champ :)

Ya, I remember you mentioning this which is why I ran wires for it down to the garage.  Docs say it should be able the head, we will see!

After doing a bit more research pretty sure I'm going to go with a LiterMeter peristaltic pump as it appears I can wire it directly into the tunze osmolator and not have to do a switched outlet.  Kind of a pricey pump but with the switched outlet from tunze and the avast pump together it's about the same amount of money and the litermeter is a higher quality pump.  Maybe I can even use it to fill my tank.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jolt said:

Dang, I thought those were cpvc valves, but figured you knew what you were doing :(

Know what I doing? Ha! I wish!!  What's frustrating is I knew that there was something different about the valves and even asked, only to be told that it was just a different brand..lol.  And what's worse is that this great information came from a plumbing specialty store!