Sump with established nano reef help

Kenta Asazu

Hi I have a waterbox 15 aio aquarium and it is currently stocked with fish and corals. I was wondering if it would be possible for me to add a sump, and if so, how should I do it? I know I could either drill it, or have a hob overflow box, but I feel like drilling it would be complicated. I also know that hob overflows are unreliable and bulky. Any type of help and input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

You're absolutely right; the two options are drilling or installing a HOB option. I've done it both ways and there are arguments for each type, but what's important is what you can live with. First, you should check with the manufacturer and see if the glass is tempered as that will potentially eliminate one option. If the glass isn't tempered on the back wall, then you can drill two holes on the back wall: one for the return and one for the durso drain. The bulkheads would be installed on the back wall and you'd essentially have an internal overflow box. I wouldn't attempt to drill the bottom of the aquarium because there isn't enough room between the edge and the hole. I've read that you need at least 1" between the edge of the aquarium and the hole to prevent chipping while drilling and to handle the stress of the water. Alternatively, you could skip the drilling and slap on a HOB option to plumb directly to the sump. People generally pick this option because drilling is not available, they're afraid to do it, or they don't want to remove an established system. Everything else is easy after you decide which overflow option to go with.

f110e8079dcb6ed595f1b3695a8f111e.png

• Like 1

The waterbox is 100% glass and can be drilled. I looked into this with the 20gal i have that i broke down. I was going to remove the baffel and drill it if i was going to update it. the silicone can be easily cut out with a thin razor knife, then it can be drilled for an overflow. to even piggy back on that a large sump would be nice. when i built my "dream" tank at the time it was a 60gal sump with a 40gal 1/2 starphire display, to get the bigger body of water but still maintained the smaller feel. 

• Thanks 1