HELP!!! Aquarium heater...

Rconde

Ok so I have 3 heaters in my 125 with a 40breeder sump. 

My thermometer shows 72 right now

so I’m sure my heaters are busted I bought them on amazon. I need to buy some more and was wondering what everyone else is using bc I don’t want to be buying heaters every couple of months.... 

I get titanium heaters.  While they may have the same problem with gaskets leaking like glass heaters have they won't blow up like glass heaters.  You need to double check your thermometer(s) too.   If you're using a heater that displays the temp it needs to be verified with an external thermometer.   And if you are using any kind of controller you need to double check the heater port as well.

That's good, they are very reliable and certainly the most convienent  in my experience.   I have seen them fail though and in my holding/frag tanks I use both digital external, glass thermometers and hand held infrared thermometer so I can triple check temps if needed.

• Like 1

I was buying new heaters of different brands often as well until I got an aqueon 150w for the same gallons as you have. It is shaped like a test tube so I keep it mounted as shown at minimum water level to prevent any seal leaks. They say it's shatter proof and it has lifetime warrant but I dont know about that. Heaters shouldn't be in low flow areas to prevent high internal temperatures and be kept clean for the same reason. I always use an external controller. Lacrosse mobile alerts for 99cents/mo gives me advanced warning on high or low temps. I keep my downstairs living area 77 so I dont need my heater during warm months. I have a new heater in box on standby. I was going to add another heater and temp controller staged down a degree or two so it wouldn't be used until the primary fails but I havent yet. I also have a wifi power strip that shows current draw so if I get a temp alert, I can login and shut it off remotely if it fails on, or see that it is not on. I've read that heater failure is one of the most common trouble spots so I feel confident in my setup. All of this is will set you back probably $150.00

20190518_090702.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like you have your bases covered pretty good and you've got redundancy.   I prefer to mount my heaters vertical like you have for the same reason even if manufacturers recommend a horizontal mounting.