No coraline

Beretta

My 29g sps tank has been up and running for about two months now, and I don't have any coraline growth at all in my tank. Everything in the tank looks good, and all parameters check out normal (pH around 8, kh=8, Ca=400). Lighting is a 250W mh pendant in the 14000K spectrum. Do some tanks just not grow coraline? I ask because my 10g nano I had setup grew coraline like crazy. I'm wondering if I'm getting too much light into the tank.

I've found that when my magnesium is low, coraline growth stops.

I believe your right Andrew.....from my observations. Before we do a water change I check my water parameters, and if the magnesium is low we add enough supplement to raise it to 1350 ppm. After a 24 hr. period we check again and magnesium is up where we wanted, then BOOM your corals also put out some growth. Also keep you phosphates levels low to zero. This is just from my observation.

I believe your right Andrew.....from my observations. Before we do a water change I check my water parameters, and if the magnesium is low we add enough supplement to raise it to 1350 ppm. After a 24 hr. period we check again and magnesium is up where we wanted, then BOOM your corals also put out some growth. Also keep you phosphates levels low to zero. This is just from my observation.

What's your ultra-cheap Mg supplement? I know you had several household items that work well for supplements, but I don't remember what you used for Mg.

Hello - Sorry to horn in on the general topic but as a newbie to SW I wondered if you could tell me what the velvety dark red growth on my rock is. It sometimes seems when it dissappears the bubble gum red stain of 'coraline algae' remains but don't think they are one and the same nor is this necessarily the case.

Thanks

Bill

Hello - Sorry to horn in on the general topic but as a newbie to SW I wondered if you could tell me what the velvety dark red growth on my rock is. It sometimes seems when it dissappears the bubble gum red stain of 'coraline algae' remains but don't think they are one and the same nor is this necessarily the case.

Thanks

Bill

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! Cyano!

Thanks

Bill

When you mean it "disappears", is it because your fish or snails have eaten it? If that's the case, it's not cyano. Alot of my rock was covered with it, and it seems to be going away. Of course, my tangs and astrea snails keep on munching on it. There maybe some other factors that have contributed to this decline of algae for example: we upgraded to a more efficient skimmer, added an AquaZone (ozonizer/redox controller), reduced my fish load=less food=less nutrients in the system, and that's in the past 4 to 6 months.

When you mean it "disappears", is it because your fish or snails have eaten it? If that's the case, it's not cyano. Alot of my rock was covered with it, and it seems to be going away. Of course, my tangs and astrea snails keep on munching on it. There maybe some other factors that have contributed to this decline of algae for example: we upgraded to a more efficient skimmer, added an AquaZone (ozonizer/redox controller), reduced my fish load=less food=less nutrients in the system, and that's in the past 4 to 6 months.

I really don't know where it 'goes'. My first tank has only a bi color blenny that eats algae at all. I do have quite a few snails and they certainly crawl over it, but I can't say I ever saw a path eaten away. This is not something I have observed closely and it is a gradual process, but my general impression is: I will notice a 'patch', very dark red ,with an almost velvet appearance. Usually it is relatively small say 2"x2". Sometimes it will extend itself a little more but eventually I will notice it is beginning to reverse. Perhaps the edges are beginning or recede a little or it just looks like it is becoming less dense. Eventually it will be completely gone. I am a little shaky on this last observation but it 'seems' the final stage will be that pinkish red 'residue' which sure looks like coraline. Now, my oldest tank, ( 5 months, but running when I got it) is definitely growing coraline as there are little circles of it all over the glass and some rocks are definitely getting more coverage. Perhaps the pinkish residue, which sure resembles coraline will eventually flake off with more time or perhaps this velvety growth is somehow making a more attractive/conditioned place for coraline to attach - but I am relatively certain that at least in some cases an area which was once red velvet growth is now bubble gum pink coraline in several instances.

Bill

I can't tell you whether is too much or not.....it all depends on what you are keeping in your tank and how far the lighting is from the surface of the water. Also, you have to consider the height of the tank and lighting penetration. From what I gather, everything seems to be thriving in the tank. There's always an issue w/evaporation, but I'm guessing there's no problem w/heat issues. If needed, you can always change the lighting to a 150w. IMO.

-Cindy-

Do ya'll think he might have too much light on that 29g?

How long are you running the MH's for?

Is your tank seeded with coralline? It doesn't appear magically like nuisance algae does. BTW, it sounds like you got some red turf algae.

Sorry to take so long to respond. I was going to try to take a picture and as I was 'looking' I noticed my water level was low. After a minute or two I realized it was leaking. Couldn't see it anywhere, untill I hurriedly got all the live stuff out and found it had a big split at the bottom of the tank??? This is the best I can get, but it still doesn't convey it very well. It's the stuff in the middle. The white spots are just some crap or rock or something. Yes there is a decent amount of coraline already.

Thanks

post-648-1223535299_thumb.jpg

I can't tell you whether is too much or not.....it all depends on what you are keeping in your tank and how far the lighting is from the surface of the water. Also, you have to consider the height of the tank and lighting penetration. From what I gather, everything seems to be thriving in the tank. There's always an issue w/evaporation, but I'm guessing there's no problem w/heat issues. If needed, you can always change the lighting to a 150w. IMO.

-Cindy-

That's what is so weird. Everything is doing well. The light is about 9 inches off the top of the water (mainly because it's a lot of wattage and I wanted to get more light into the corners). Heat isn't an issue, as I've got a chiller running, and an ato.

The rocks look like they might be getting some kind of coraline, but it's very dark, almost grey color with a tinge of purple. I also dosed some b-ionic the other day, and now coraline is showing up in small places on the powerheads. Seems I might be finally on the right path.

Sorry to take so long to respond. I was going to try to take a picture and as I was 'looking' I noticed my water level was low. After a minute or two I realized it was leaking. Couldn't see it anywhere, untill I hurriedly got all the live stuff out and found it had a big split at the bottom of the tank??? This is the best I can get, but it still doesn't convey it very well. It's the stuff in the middle. The white spots are just some crap or rock or something. Yes there is a decent amount of coraline already.

Thanks

Ooohhh! :o what a bummer. Hope everything made it. Hmmmm, from the picture I can only suggest that if it's cyano, siphon it out. If it doesn't come off that easily you might want to use an old toothbrush and brushed off. Now......I'm thinking it might be some type of macro algae, which is good thing, it's beneficial to your system. If it starts to leaf out and becomes unattractive, you can always pinched off (or cut) and place it in your sump; weight it down w/some rock.

I can see your rock started to get some coraline..... :thumbsup:

-Cindy-

That's what is so weird. Everything is doing well. The light is about 9 inches off the top of the water (mainly because it's a lot of wattage and I wanted to get more light into the corners). Heat isn't an issue, as I've got a chiller running, and an ato.

The rocks look like they might be getting some kind of coraline, but it's very dark, almost grey color with a tinge of purple. I also dosed some b-ionic the other day, and now coraline is showing up in small places on the powerheads. Seems I might be finally on the right path.

Well, good for you :thumbsup: ....... something was off balance, could of been either the alkalinity or calcium. From what I've learned (specially from my husband) is that, "always test water parameters" before introducing any additives to your tank.

-Cindy-