Redsea Reefer 450 Build / Upgrade

mhart032

So the 20gal waterbox either did the trick and made me want to be a reefer again, OR pissed me off and now i have to go bigger. the .2 to .3 alk swings were way to difficult to keep sps in, besides i had WAY to much equipment for a 20gal lol . Ive bought a used red sea reefer 450 for a fraction of the price its worth ( Thanks again By eddius-maximus ) I picked up the tank last week and been working on it a little at a time to get it ready. Im taking all my equipment from the waterbox with exceptions to the MP10s the skimmer and the other nano size equipment. 

So far i have the tank, stand, sump im pretty impressed with the red sea tanks, so much better then there umm there attempts several years ago with acrylic systems. i bought a ATB 840 2.0 skimmer from Eddie when i picked up the tank with the DC motor this thing is a beast and prob over kill, but i got a great price on it too. I plan to do a manifold system with sch 80 plumbing everything plumbed in with at least 2 reactors but room for 2 more additions for later down the road. i have had the 4.5gal ATO drilled for bulkheads to make a fuge, going to plumb it in from the overflow so i can eliminate the need for more pump in that area. I dont expect a ton of flow through it. I have bought 110lbs more rock with the 40lbs i have it the waterbox i should be able to do some pretty decent scaping, for lighting i have 3 radion XR15 G4 pros already with 2 new in the box and 1 over the waterbox, I have a NIB AI Prime i will use for the fuge light. I bought 2 new Maxspect gyre FX250s for super cheap from another reefer that i will be using for flow in the display, Im not to sure on the return pump yet, but i like the idea of the maxspect, but i do like the Neptune and vectra pumps as well. So far everything is cleaned just waiting to decide on a few other ideas. still need to decide on a system weather it be 2 part or Tritan, the Tritan intrigues me as id like to be as ULM as i can. 

So far I have the following 

92Gal tank and Stand 

20Gal sump 

5Gal fuge 

Apex with 2 dos dossers and reservoirs, WXM module, PM1 and ALDS, AFS

ATB 840 2.0 Skimmer With DC Airstar Dc pump 

2X Maxspect Gyre 250s 

Alkatronic 

Tunze 3155 ATO 

150lbs rock 110lbs dry 

100lbs pink Fuji sand 

3X Radion xr15w G4 Pros W/ mount systems. 

Here are some pics. 

Before i cleaned it up. 

reefer450-2.thumb.jpg.11f18c61aab04df8d664dd5b477bae44.jpgreefer450-1.thumb.jpg.d1b9d97e35fbed3abc511ca326470280.jpg

Here is the after 

20190207_215203.jpg.1cf0915344cd9f139b1814246c5a66c6.jpg20190212_195957.jpg

• Like 4

The maxspects came in yesterday, as well as the pump controller for the skimmer, I haven't starting really building it yet, I'm still thinking about the plumbing and the return pump, I've been looking at all the DC pumps initially the maxspects 9k was a choice, but the reviews are terrible, so was thinking the Cor 20 had some good options, but the reviews are not any better. Anyone have any suggestions on return pump? I'm thinking at least 2000gph to feed the manifold with the reactors and all, I don't want to short change the display on turnover. 

• Like 1

The maxspects came in yesterday, as well as the pump controller for the skimmer, I haven't starting really building it yet, I'm still thinking about the plumbing and the return pump, I've been looking at all the DC pumps initially the maxspects 9k was a choice, but the reviews are terrible, so was thinking the Cor 20 had some good options, but the reviews are not any better. Anyone have any suggestions on return pump? I'm thinking at least 2000gph to feed the manifold with the reactors and all, I don't want to short change the display on turnover. 
I like my Jaebo BC return pump... Silent, variable, and been working for 3 years so lasts longer than their circulation pumps.

I ordered the the jeboa 12000 at 3100gph it should take care of the manifolds and return. I really only need 1350 back to the display that leaves the remaining to power the 2 reactors and feed the fuge unless I plum the fuge off the overflow. I ordered 6 spears gate vales today and a length of scheduled 80 and the ts and elbows 90s and the unions for the plumbing. I drilled the 4.5gal ato for the fuge section, still figuring out how I want to plumb it in. I know I do not want to add anymore pumps, just the skimmer and return. 

I picked up all the rest of the plumbing today, plan to start on the plumbing tomorrow evening, I also went a head and picked up 2 Neptune wav Pumps for the back wall for some different flow directions with the gyres. Still gathering the rest of the equipment and things I want to do with the tank. But it should start coming together soon. 

• Like 2

i worked on the plumbing tonight and i got most of the return dry fitted, i used spears everything  ( thank goodness i run a chemical company my supplier gave me everything i needed at no cost, otherwise the plumbing might have been the most expensive part )  once everything gets glued it should all be equal spacing kind of looks like poop right now, i left room for 2 reactors and either Zeo or bio pellets still weighing out the options. if anyone has any input on the either it would be helpful. anyway here a pic of the return section dry fitted. 

20190226_193135.jpg 

• Like 2

I worked on the plumbing a little bit  in between calls and work garbage ( im not sure why people don't understand im in the middle of a tank build, and working from home really means in not inserted in work stuff) anyway, The 4.5 gal topoff tank AKA the fuge is still at the glass place being drilled, supposed to be done by tomorrow so i can plumb the fuge in  and make sure my inlet on the fuge will be short enough for how it was drilled. i dont have a ton of space there to plumb it so it will be interesting. the return out from the fuge will just come across the fuge and empty out into the skimmer section so the filter socks can be utilized. Im actually thinking about the roller mat for this application as i really dislike messing with socks. I need to plumb the emergency section, but to concerned with that, i had to order a couple more of the red sea connections to have a couple spares and plumb in the emergency section. still a ton to do, but after the plumbing it should go pretty quickly. 

20190227_144830.jpg20190227_145331.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mhart032 said:

in between calls and work garbage ( im not sure why people don't understand im in the middle of a tank build, and working from home really means in not inserted in work stuff) 

😂 Not everyone has their priorities straight!

• Like 1

Wavs came in this weekend, the second EB832 came in as well, I have 2 wav pumps and 2 dos that I do t want power bricks for so the pm1 or eb832 makes sense as I'm one short. I don't really need the outlets, but eh they want 150 for the Apex pm1 or 250 for the eb832 for me that's a no brainier 8 more switchable Apex outlets for 100 bucks who wouldn't do that? I got some plumbing glued and some that I just finished dry fitting and think it's ready to glue, I got the fuge section back too so I was able to dry plum it as well. I still have the emergency drain, but not to worried about that I'll find a way to run it out of the way. Anyway here is a pic. 

15516357033238614641929653242999.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jolt said:

Man I just love clean schedule 80 plumbing.  Nice job!   But, maybe just turn that drain pipe so the printing doesn't show 😏

Thanks, I agree on the lettering. 

I also realized a union on the return up to the tank.might be in order in case I need to work on the manifold might be a good idea. 

Instead of a union you might want to consider another gate valve (which also acts as a union) if you have space.  That would give you the ability to tune the return flow to the tank independently of the reactors.  In hindsight, I wish I had done that on my setup.  Looks like you're space constrained but would be ideal if you could eliminate the 180 degree turn right before the return bulkhead.  That will knock your GPH down a little bit but your pump looks pretty strong so might not matter.

Either way great job!

I wanted a gate valve initially, but i just an really lacking in room, and a little worried about the head pressure on the pump to adjust the plumping to make once fit and messing with the turnover. but really im not expecting to much turnover, with all the flow that is going into the tank if i can get 3-5 times per hour i think ill be happy. I did install a union though, i pressured everything up to 75psi last night no leaks until i installed the manifold and it leaked very badly around the plumbing that connects to the stock red sea return on the top of the tank, i didn't expect it to hold 75lbs but maintained pressure at 35lbs and lower so i think its good, I did almost kill the dog with flying locline oops! forgot to cap the top on the first try, she ate the parts last night so i guess she got the last laugh. i had already ordered complete replacements of all the plumbing connections from red sea.  ill move on to the overflow plumbing and the emergency plumbing today, hopefully ill have it all buttoned up by tomorrow and leak test the tanks, then get water in it.

i still need to setup a mixing station, i was thinking of stealing water from the tankless water heater in the garage and setting up a mixing station in the garage if i can keep it tight to the wall the tanks are only 42" around the bottom it should workout ok, as long as the vehicles will still fit in the garage.  the area is only about 20ft from that area so it would be a pretty short run for the barracuda to handle that i bought for the mixing station. im going to get the tanks this weekend. 

• Like 1

I want to use the AI prime HD that i have from the initial waterbox build that i later well about 2 days later upgraded to the Radion gen 4 pro. upon researching these seem to be about as close to a fuge settings for max growth as i can get. any thoughts? the only bad thing is because i run the netgear nighthawk pro X10 AD7200 i cannot connect it to the apex via IOTA =\, so im left with the AI app. maybe not a huge deal being as im going to use it for the fuge 

Screenshot_20190304-132013_myAI.jpg

6 minutes ago, victoly said:

what about that router prevents iota?

Not sure yet, researching it to try to see if its ports or security or the multi channel aspects of the router. but there are several of the nighthawk routers that dont work for some reason. My router isnt listed but this list isnt very up to date. the X6S (R800P) came out in 2016 i believe. 

IOTA-AI_User_Guide_ Network_Equipment_Addendum.jpg

I used an AI Prime as a fuge light and it worked great (too well actually).  You'll have no problem growing algae.  I feel like it's overkill though so watch your nutrients and make sure they are greater than 0 and you're not growing too aggressively.  Your settings look fine to me.

15 hours ago, Merman said:

I used an AI Prime as a fuge light and it worked great (too well actually).  You'll have no problem growing algae.  I feel like it's overkill though so watch your nutrients and make sure they are greater than 0 and you're not growing too aggressively.  Your settings look fine to me.

awesome! that's what i was hoping to hear.