Sump/Fuge opinions...

MrZ2u

Been thinking of drilling my lagoon 25 and putting a sump underneath.  Space I have to work with is 21x20in  x 16 tall (depending, the upper limit is 20in in reality)

Couple ideas tumbling around in my head on how to do this.  I have two 10 gal glass aquariums laying around so I could just put up some baffles and call it good.   Some ideas I had on how I might slice that up.  The first one seems to me like it ought to be just fine but it seems like all the ones I find pictures of are more involved...but why? 

The intake side in this case would be first big enough to take most if not all the tank overflow and/or wide enough for my skimmer (which only needs like 2.5 in, Tunze 9001)
The pump side would match for the most part but not be enough to flood the tank if for some reason the drain clogged.

Thoughts?

sump dump.JPG

Edited by MrZ2u

And the other option is to make one from scratch that would look more like this...top down.
This one would be 20x20 footprint...could go 21x21 probably if more space makes sense.  Thinking a total of 16in tall so I have room above it to move around above it (although not much, 4in perhaps) and for the ATO volume but only 12in deep in the main sections.  Might even have it on a heavy duty drawer slide bottom...which would take an inch give or take.

This would give me more total volume for sure and a lot more space for the chaeto to grow and maybe even grow enough pods to have a mandarin up top.  Feels like maximizing the volume of the fuge is preferred.  

Still could shrink the intake space like above...no bigger than it needs to be and make the fuge that much bigger...

top down total custom.jpg

Edited by MrZ2u

2 minutes ago, jolt said:

I like the second post or else option two in the first post.  The ATO is nice to have.  That's big enough to go a couple of days between refills probably for that size tank.

Oh, more than a couple days...I have a 3-gal jug under there right now and it lasts 2 weeks give or take.  Kinda why I am shooting for the 3 gal mark since I know how it behaves.  Of course adding the sump will add surface area too so it will surely change.  I think I would plan to cover as much of the bottom as I could to help prevent that...the whole back of the stand is open but flush against the wall minus a but in the back where things come down from above.  I think I would end up putting a vent on the stair side and maybe a 6in computer fan on the other blowing thru to move out whatever gets in there.  On the top shelf is a UPS that probably would not like condensation much.

20170207_164350.jpg