Laser Cutting Acrylics

MrZ2u

I have in the past and they were a little pricey for cutting and last time I was in there they had raised the minimums up quite a bit.    At the time TechShop was still open and $65 got me three days use on theirs...or $99 for a month.  Course they are shut down and all the gear is taunting me from the window...sitting there idol for over a year!

Overflows, Sump/Fuge.  My algae issues of late have me wanting to drill my AIO and get a sump.  The stand I build is 22 wide between the 2x4's inside so just a bit short for the 20gal aquariums out there so I either go with a 10gal and not have as much space as I would like in the fuge section for what I think I want to do or go full custom and make it just like I want it to be.  I can cut acrylic well enough with my table saw but man, the laser is just so clean and you stick a sheet in there and 10 minutes later the whole project is cut perfectly and clean!  

Honestly, the 10gal would probably be enough but I am exploring options.  Having access to a laser is one of the check box things in the consideration of the overall project.

3 hours ago, Dogfish said:

When you buy your laser cutter let me know. I got stuff to cut *-}

I was going to say dont hold your breath but there are some out of China that are not too terribly expensive...so who knows.  Probably cant hold your breath even that long though so, yeah, dont :)

23 hours ago, mFrame said:

For most jobs you're better of having someone do it for you.  Have you checked with Regal Plastics (https://www.regal-plastics.com/)?

Just checked with Regal on prices and apparently they are getting further and further from wanting to deal with the small public.  I asked for a quote on 4 pieces of 3/16 at 10x11 in... $126.  I asked twice...INCHES, not feet.  Yep.  Uhhh, thanks anyway.

Austin Plastics on Kramer was $7 per piece...then I called Polymershapes in P-ville...TONS cheaper in general but they also will sell from the drop/scrap pile for real cheap.  Now I am thinking about a totally custom sump/fuge vs making a 10gal glass one work.

These guys are the place to go it seems!  Can even do custom cutting for over flows and such if you like though I didnt price that.

2251 Picadilly Dr #150a, Pflugerville, TX 78660
512-687-0771

Thats one of their smaller desktop types...bed is only 12x18 so that limits things.  I dont recall if that one lets you feed larger material from the outside or if the whole bed is captive. 

It would be great for media baskets, skimmer boxes and such though.