Blue/green chromis

Beaux

I am starting to sock one of my tanks. I first read that the chromis was the least aggressive of the damsels and followed the reccomend school of 6. In a very short time I was down to one.

I scoured my tank looking for anything, corpse, leftovers, anything and found nothing.

Last week I did the same restock, bought 5 to add to the sole surviving one. Today i am down to 3. I have searched everywhere, including the floor, (are these guys known to be jumpers?)

It is a 55 gallon so I do not think tank size is the problem. Are they just eating each other? I can not find bones or anything that would suggest that.

No other fish in the tank. They hide all day and only come out at feeding time. I have scoured the web and nothing contradicts thier behavior except the stay hidden.

Anyone else had to deal with this? Should I try different fish instead? If so what kind?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yup, that's what hapens with blue/green chromis.  IMO they should only be left to experienced aquarists.  A colorful combination of hardy damsels would be a Talboti, Azure, Rolland's and a Yellow Belly.  All four are Chrysiptera species, have the same body size and shape and same behavior.  They are similar enough they will set up thier own hierarchy and from what I've I wouldn't be surprised to see mating behavior.

About 6 months ago I was given 10 in a trade. I now have only 4. They are constantly moving and I read need to be fed a lot bc of their activity level. I have an automatic feeder to feed them a little while I’m at work. I also read they will pick on each other with in their own school. I added a blue damsel about 3 months ago. Got him in a tank break down. Since adding him, no more disappearing chromis. Maybe coincidence. Maybe not. Who knows. They are fun to watch though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're looking for a great fish that won't kill each other off check out the blue eyed cardinal. I've had 5 for about a year now and will be adding a few more soon. I'd say they semi-school. Up until last month I had 3 tangs in the tank and pretty much all the smaller fish stayed in the rocks except for feeding time. Now that the tangs are gone everyone stays out in open water pretty much all day...even the firefish and dottyback.

• Like 1

If you're looking for a great fish that won't kill each other off check out the blue eyed cardinal. I've had 5 for about a year now and will be adding a few more soon. I'd say they semi-school. Up until last month I had 3 tangs in the tank and pretty much all the smaller fish stayed in the rocks except for feeding time. Now that the tangs are gone everyone stays out in open water pretty much all day...even the firefish and dottyback.

I’ve seen those at RCA. They’re pretty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with everyone above on the Chromis. I started with 15 in a 150g and managed to keep 10 of those after two years. Chromis live in stoney corals for protection. In our tanks they substitute live rock crevices and sleep in them at night. I believe they become too weak from the competition and don't have the strength to come out again.

My Azure Damsels both bite and attack anything that gets near their home, including magnet cleaners, tongs, siphon vacuumes, and my fingers. Dan and Meg had a similar problem with Talbot's a few years ago.

Sapphire and Pink Smith Damsels have been great additions to my tank. They haven't been aggressive and they're both interesting to watch. I've also had good experiences with Allen's Damsels but they're not really available locally unless you request them. However, I don't know if their good behavior is natural or has to do with the size of aquarium since I've never kept them in a smaller system. Also, it's worth mentioning that they don't act like Chromis/Anthias. They often stay close to the aquascape similar to dwarf angelfish and don't freeswim across the tank.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

• Like 1