Best option to buy a large reef ready tank...

Jake Woerner

I am looking to purchase a large reef ready aquarium (100 gallons or more, pre-drilled) but most of the local stores offer very few large tanks on display and most do not meet my criteria (shallow and wide like a frag tank but taller than 12 inches). I've found custom aquariums online but they want to charge $100-300 or more for delivery. Should I just suck it up for the delivery charge or is it best to get a shop to order one for me? Anyone know the best way to go about this?

I have been really happy with the 4'x2'x13" rimless Planet aquarium I ordered from aquadome.  There was no delivery charge, and I picked it up at their store.  Gary (the owner) was very easy to work with.  But I did  not like their "ghost" style overflow and installed one from Reef Savvy instead.

I've got a DSA 185 (60w" x 30d" x 25h") on display in my front sitting room, and the NEO version (3/4" glass, no center brace) ready to pick up in the garage! Stand and sump included! Not quite frag tank height, but I LOVE my footprint which is why I picked up the second tank and since decided not to switch out.

(Definitely requires cleaning, not new, but very good condition)

Otherwise, yes you will be paying for shipping. Whether it's rolled into a price or put as a line item, you are paying for it somehow. I have a feeling any of the cheaper tanks/builders will put it as a line item, and the more expensive/fancy ones would roll it in to your premium price.

Marineland Deep Dimension Corner-Flo™ Glass Aquariums are popular and cheaper than custom tanks. They range from 150-300 gallons, but they have to be ordered from a store. The store that I ordered mine from has long since closed, but I'm sure Aquatek, RCA or Aquadome can help you out. 

Approximate dimensions listed are width x depth x height. 
97043 150 gal (36" x 36" x 27"), 1 overflow  
97044 200 gal (48" x 36" x 27"), 2 overflows  
97045 250 gal (60" x 37" x 27"), 2 overflows  
97046 300 gal (72" x 36" x 27"), 2 overflows

4 hours ago, o0zarkawater said:

I've got a DSA 185 (60w" x 30d" x 25h") on display in my front sitting room, and the NEO version (3/4" glass, no center brace) ready to pick up in the garage! Stand and sump included! Not quite frag tank height, but I LOVE my footprint which is why I picked up the second tank and since decided not to switch out.

(Definitely requires cleaning, not new, but very good condition)

Otherwise, yes you will be paying for shipping. Whether it's rolled into a price or put as a line item, you are paying for it somehow. I have a feeling any of the cheaper tanks/builders will put it as a line item, and the more expensive/fancy ones would roll it in to your premium price.

Would you be interested in selling the one in the garage? I don't mind cleaning it up and could probably make a decent offer. I would want to see it first of course...