Vivian Daigler

Are you wanting to buy them or just read up on them?
I do not know how anyone is searching for them but I go to the first page opening in tap talk and search from there and see lots of posts, even group club like ours devoted to just shrimp.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, Vivian Daigler said:

Harlequin shrimp. Ours has been a no-show for two weeks and I am curious if that's normal. Previously it had been out at least every few days.

Welcome! :wave:

Shrimp and other molding invertebrates are known to go missing for 2-4 days during a molt, but two weeks seems excessive. I once had a Peppermint Shrimp disappear for three months and reappear triple the size. Harlequin Shrimp are known to carry off starfish or urchins into a cave and feed on them for up to two weeks before emerging.  I don't know how long you've had your shrimp or if that's normal behavior for your specimen. 

• Like 3

On 11/6/2018 at 2:44 PM, Vivian Daigler said:

Can anyone provide some tips for searching specific topics on this site? The basic search field never seems to bring up anything.

The search bar in the top right is what you want to use.  The more unique a word is the better your results, for example, using just "harlequin" instead of "harlequin shrimp" helps cut the clutter.

You'll see that after I put both words in the search box I got the following:

image.png

Note how it has the comment, "Didn't find what you're looking for?"  It then shows you how you can refine or filter the search.

Clicking the second option "Harlequin AND shrimp" seems to return what you're looking for.

image.png

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Reefpuck said:

Welcome!

Are you feeding the shrimp starfish? What kind of fish do you have? Maybe we can help you in this thread. :)

Yes to feeding the shrimp starfish, but it seems like we made the mistake of thinking the asterinas in the tank were enough to sustain it. I think we may have let it starve completely not meaning to. We also placed a chocolate chip starfish leg in the tank and it didn't look like the shrimp ate the tube feet on it after a week or so. If we didn't starve it to death, some research I found said that trigger fish may kill harlequins. We do have a gorgeous blue trigger that killed a Goby awhile back, and I wonder if that's what happened to the harlequin. 

FWIW the people that I see having success with Harlequin Shrimp feed them a live Chocolate Chip Starfish once a month. From what I've read the babies can be reared on asterinas, but the adults will need linkia or similar starfish. Most people use chocolates because they're cheap. I don't know what "baby" means when the adults are only 1.5"! Pretty much everything eats shrimp, so both scenarios are viable. 

• Like 1