Relocating from Chicago!

enzo1028

Hello ARC!

My name is Joe and I've been in the reef hobby for 5 years but I've have freshwater tanks throughout my life.  I started off with a hand me down 36 gallon bowfront and through a few upgrades, I now have a 120g SPS dominant tank.  I think it's safe to say I got addicted!  I've met some great people in the Chicago reef scene and have some amazing friends in the hobby now.  In a bitter sweet turn of events, I may be accepting a job offer out in Texas in the next couple weeks and I would most likely have to move fast and tear down my tank.  

I plan on buying a small AIO (maybe IM 30g) and transporting my stuff I have sentimental value with(mated clowns, longnose hawk, nems, and zoas).  I don't really know my living situation yet but I most likely will be put up in an apartment or extended stay for 2 months until I find something I like. I may ship a frag of all of my SPS to a friend in Atlanta for him to hold until I find a permanent residence so I can setup my 120g again.

I am visiting the weekend of 10/12, which shops should I check out while I am there?

Do you recommend me bringing any specific corals down from Chicago? I know some areas of the country can have a harder time getting certain stuff.

Any other suggestions for transporting a few fish in a 20 hour road trip? (will have a battery powered heater, air stone, and plenty of water)

Any other advice on the reef hobby scene in Austin would be greatly appreciated, I hope to meet some of you soon!

b8a4a800dded92399cca63cad40755ff.jpge4c5f1e40ba4d69cca649eefc8a525b2.jpg

3d3cbd1238a04b4ebc06620391d290b7.jpg

474893d0b6453b0cf1dd638791173d9e.jpg

• Like 3

Alright, another stickhead! Say goodbye to snowstorms and hello heat waves!

Wish you well on the move. A small heater and air bubbler is a perfect. I would even pack some Prime to battle ammonia buildup or have saltwater you can do a quick water change with halfway.

Oh, just realized the weekend you're coming in we will be having our first reef club meeting since the Spring.

Drop on by if you want. I'm hosting and supplying food and talking about to keep acropora... Which looks like you may be able to contribute to the discussion.

Details here:

http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/40224-farmerty-fall-bash-meeting/

• Like 2

Oh, just realized the weekend you're coming in we will be having our first reef club meeting since the Spring.

Drop on by if you want. I'm hosting and supplying food and talking about to keep acropora... Which looks like you may be able to contribute to the discussion.

Details here:

http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/40224-farmerty-fall-bash-meeting/

Wow, that’s awesome! I may have to take you up on that! I’ll see how busy I am that weekend. I need to look for a place to live before I start going to reef club meetups lol.

Either way, thanks for the warm welcome and I can’t wait to check out the area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Welcome! I travel to Chicago fairly often and have brought back corals from Reefwise on several occasions. Luckily for you there are tons of stick enthusiasts here, so you'll be well supplied with frags!

Awesome! That’s the thing I was worried about. I’ve got a nice collection and I’d like to keep it growing. And I actually live about 20 mins from Reefwise. Next time you’re up in Illinois check out Reefnation in Saint Charles. They have an amazing stick collection

d10d6b13eeed70d819fc18f27ce4f504.png

• Like 1

Awesome! That’s the thing I was worried about. I’ve got a nice collection and I’d like to keep it growing. And I actually live about 20 mins from Reefwise. Next time you’re up in Illinois check out Reefnation in Saint Charles. They have an amazing stick collection

d10d6b13eeed70d819fc18f27ce4f504.png

Dang! I was just at Reefwise on Thursday and wasn’t impressed with the selection. I wish I had known about Reefnation, but I’ll hit it up next time I’m there.

Dang! I was just at Reefwise on Thursday and wasn’t impressed with the selection. I wish I had known about Reefnation, but I’ll hit it up next time I’m there.

The guy runs it out of his garage but he has an incredibly impressive setup. Hit him up before you show up. I guarantee you won’t be disappointed with his SPS collection

• Like 1

11 hours ago, enzo1028 said:

The guy runs it out of his garage but he has an incredibly impressive setup. Hit him up before you show up. I guarantee you won’t be disappointed with his SPS collection

Yeah I tried looking it up on Google Maps last night and couldn't find a thing. I assumed it was a garage operation, hopefully I'll be able to meet up with him next time!