Dead? Red Hairy or Bristly Crab

renman303

I would guess more likely a molt. They look just like a whole crab. Unfortunately that means he is probably still in there and doesn't look like a friendly type of crab.

Why do you think it "doesn't look like a friendly type of crab"?

Please let me know how you catch him. I have a similar crab that I would like to catch... without breaking down the tank.

-Travis

I'll move him to the QT tank just 2 B safe. I also got a free hitch hiker (Porcelein Crab) with my Pink Birdsnest via Drs Foster and Smith!

There are some decorator crabs from Japan that are fine and virtually all of the commensal SPS crabs are perfectly fine (one of my favorite creatures in my tank - bought the coral colony because of the crab). Not all hairy crabs are bad and there are a bunch of "smooth" crabs that can be devastating, Leslie H is the inverts guru on Reef Central and if you can get pics, I would post an ID request on the invertebrates forum on Reef Central or ask Ron Shimek at Marine Depot forums.

I had a 2 to 3" black hairy crab in my scorpionfish tank for two years and never bothered anything (including the Hawaiian frogfish that gets about 2"). Crab taxonomy is very weak and knowing the habits of many is very hard. On reefcentral the suggestion is to usually place in fuge which is absolutely ludicrous, you don't want any predators in your fuge!

Lee

Hey Lee,

The hitchhiker is a Porcelain Anemone Crab (Neopetrolisthes ohshimai). For some reason he came in the Birdsnest Coral that I got and has not made an attempt to leave it, claiming it for his home.

The "Hairy" Crab, I now believe is dead. He's upside down in the sand and has been at the same spot since yesterday. I'll post a pic in awhile.

Nevermind about the pic....he's in pieces. Best I could do was the link to the pic that I posted earlier.

If "Hair is a bad indicator", then why are Emerald Mythrix Crabs considered "Reef Safe"?

Lee, if you get a chance, I'd like to know if you can drop by sometime and tell me what you think the tank may need? I have a lot of algae blooming on the rocks and it doesn't seem to be what the Angel or Tang want to eat. I hate to over populate with tons of crabs or whatever..... :rolleyes:

Edited by renman303