mushroom causing cloudy water - dying?

achen

I need some help/advice. I came home today and noticed that my tank was very cloudy. I noticed my big mushroom anemone was spewing out nasty looking film. I immediately took it out of the tank and did a water change. I tank looks okay this morning and I don't think anything was severely affected.

The big question is, is my mushroom anemone on its way to anemone heaven or just something it did not like. Can it be save?

How long has it been in the system?

Did you change anything right before it did that?

Mushrooms and anemones can both occasionally do their own water changes/pooping where they spew stuff into the water and look deflated/gross for a day or so.

They both can sometimes try to spawn and would be releasing sperm into the water column. I don't see my mushrooms doing this as often as my urchins and brittle stars will immediately after a water change.

Having a little 12g, a water change was probably a good idea. In larger volumes it's not as big of a deal. If the mushroom looks happy, I don't think it's a big problem.

• Like 1

I had it in my tank for several years now. The only recent change I made was an addition of a small pump for more water flow. I noticed recently it was shrinking and wasn't as spread out like it used to be. I have seen it do this before when it's in a higher flow area. So I thought it would just stay smaller and adjust to the new flow.

So this is a surprise to see it react this way. 

I currently have it in a bucket with a small pump for flow. It still looks like it is continuing to spew stuff into the water. I'll try changing it and see if it will stop.

Anything else you think I should try?

+1 for pooping or releasing eggs/sperm.  What species/variety is it?  What color is the "stuff" coming out it's mouth?  is it completely deflated or roughly the same size it's been for the last few days or week?  Does it have slimy white or brown patches on it?  typically, but not always, when mushrooms die they completly deflate, the mouth relaxes open and it's "guts" can be seen through the open mouth. (Pictures would help 🙂 )

I'm not sure what specie it is since it came with the tank when I got it a long time ago. It have survived a long time and I hate to lose it even though it's nothing fancy. The stuff that's coming out is like white and filmy. It looks like smoke when it is release.

It hasn't deflated completely I don't think. Like I said before, I have seen it shrink down when it got too much flow. The water it's in now is all mirky so I'll need to replace the water and then try to take a picture. I can see the mouth open pretty big so that doesn't look good.

I'll try to upload a picture but I always had a hard time getting pictures here.