You ever buy a frag. . .

Sierra Bravo

You ever buy a frag at a local LFS or hobbyist because it looks like a winner, only to come home put it in your tank and realize you already have it?  I was at Elegant Reef and they had a number of nice frags someone had traded in.  One caught my eye - it had some very strong hints of what looked like a reddish overall hue and dark red polyps under their lighting.   They're expensive @ $45, but hey, they never have nice frags and this one looks. . . special.

Got it home, dipped and popped it on a new plug and into my rack.  After a few days of acclimation and being under my lights - this thing is starting to look a lot like like a PC Rainbow. . . which I already have.  Two days more and it starts to encrust green at the base - yep, PC Rainbow! 😮

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about that Sierra.
I too have done this a few times myself.
One way that has helped me to avoid doing it again when I go to one of my LFS is look at their lighting.
If i am able to I adjust the lighting to see it in the different spectrums, or with just white only. That has helped me. Or just ask an employee to do it for you.
Hope this helps some. [emoji4]

You ever buy a frag at a local LFS or hobbyist because it looks like a winner, only to come home put it in your tank and realize you already have it?  I was at Elegant Reef and they had a number of nice frags someone had traded in.  One caught my eye - it had some very strong hints of what looked like a reddish overall hue and dark red polyps under their lighting.   They're expensive @ $45, but hey, they never have nice frags and this one looks. . . special.
Got it home, dipped and popped it on a new plug and into my rack.  After a few days of acclimation and being under my lights - this thing is starting to look a lot like like a PC Rainbow. . . which I already have.  Two days more and it starts to encrust green at the base - yep, PC Rainbow! [emoji50]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yup.  Like Beaux said difference in lighting intensity and spectrum, depending on species, can result in dramaticly different colors.  It's hard to see the variation in color but one example is this picture I posted back in 2011 had a Acropora millipora that was green under a 14000K MH bulb at 250 PAR and under a 12000K bulb and 450 PAR was orange and yellow.   But at teh same time the A. youngii, Green Slimmer, hardly showed any variation unless it dropped below ~ 100-150 PAR where it turned brown.

post-1247-0-12314400-1308522768.jpg

It Would be all too easy to get rid of our duplicate corals and fragg's if someone by the name of TY would set a date for our next frag swap! hint hint wink wink!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Beaux said:

It Would be all too easy to get rid of our duplicate corals and fragg's if someone by the name of TY would set a date for our next frag swap! hint hint wink wink!

That would be nice,  @FarmerTy can you take care of that?

• Like 2

That would be nice,  [mention=463]FarmerTy[/mention] can you take care of that?
Lol! I'm not ARC staff! [emoji23]

Where's Brian? @Brian.srock
  • Haha 1