Greentip toadstool

Beaux

This tank is going on its 2 year mark.

Ph 8.2

Ammonia .25 constant. Tank is happy with that.

CA 400

KH 107.4  (6)

Nitrate 0

Nitrite 0

Sal 1.25

P04 0

This is my 2nd greentip toadstool. 

I added the second about 8 months ago. I resesrched a lot about what could be wrong and tried all the reccomend suggestions for the issue.

I lifted just the base up to get a better look. The skin is stiff, not soft. I do not see any necrosis. I have dipped it twice, the frag base is clean and clear. I also used a baster at the peeling away part, nothing is helping. It still extends the green tips, stands upright, acting just as normal as the other one.

I have not found any information on this being a way to reproduce.  So any suggestions? Is it just trying to detach from the frag disk?

The lowest photo is from when I first noticed it. The upper photo was taken today.

20180731_164112.jpg

20180803_121433.jpg

Beaux this may seem an odd question.  I noticed in another thread post you said you built your own sump, and you used white silicone rather than clear.  Are you sure that you used reef safe silicone?  If not, it could explain many of the problems you have been seeing.  The non reef safe silicone often has chemicals added to fight mold.

Thanks for rhe reply Jolt.

I have indeed confirmed that the silicone is reef safe. I called the company directly and was informed that there are no toxins that would harm corals.
I just misread the label which says aquarium safe
And bought the white instead of clear.
I was just to exhausted and frustrated to want to dissemble it and start form scratch.

I am learning (the hard way) is that even 2 identical types of corals still need to be treated as if they are not. Just because one toadstool does perfect and thrives there, grouping them in the proximity does not mean all of them will be ok there next to the same kind.

I moved the healthier one to another spot with the exact par, and will adjust the one that has split at the base until he is in a happy place.

Again thank you for your insite.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Are you sure it is detaching and not just growing out and over the small rock on the plug?  As it grows the base will grow and expand over things close by.  I have kept these for years and have seen them grow over things.  

I am unsure. The skin at the base is moving upwards
There is no flappy skin. It is jaged but sill stiff flesh. There is nothing close enough to it to try and reach out to. After I let it settle down a little bit and destress I will try and pick it ul get it closer to rhe glass so I can get a closer in depth picture to send.14189c2fde2cb5ecb0dbc4b5676e877e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If it isn't deteriorating in that area, I wouldn't worry too much and would just keep watching it for the next few weeks to see how it continues to grow.  They don't encrust, they grow and expand and from what I can see it looks fine and the texture you discribe sounds fine especially if all of the polyps are extending across the whole surface.  watch it and look for deterioration in that area you are concerned about. 

If it isn't deteriorating in that area, I wouldn't worry too much and would just keep watching it for the next few weeks to see how it continues to grow.  They don't encrust, they grow and expand and from what I can see it looks fine and the texture you discribe sounds fine especially if all of the polyps are extending across the whole surface.  watch it and look for deterioration in that area you are concerned about.  If you see any, cut that part off.  I have had great success with these corals and the few with problems this process has worked.

mike

• Like 1

I am going to name this tank

The Crazy Train!

Today after maintenance I took a chance to pull the greentip toadstool up closer to the top of the water for a closer inspection.

To my surprise the toadstool has been using its flesh from its base, winding around the base to propagate!!

I could see a small lump with just a few tiny green tips already showing.

I would have taken a photo of it but my hands were drenched with water. Not to mention I would have never thought this would be the reasoning.

Has anyone ever had a toadstool naturally propagate in such manner?

I will post photos of this as is progress.