Algae?

gdemieville

This strange stuff started showing up a couple of days ago.  All water parameters are where they need to be.  It appears to be algae as it is growing just here and there, but it is not everywhere.  On both holey rock and regular live rock.  Bright green under the lights.  Any ideas?

Algae.jpg

My guess, correct me if I'm wrong,  is this is a new set up.  If so this is normal and expected.  A lot has been made about cycling a tank but maturing a tank is less talked about.  This algae you're seeing now is just the initial step in the maturing process which will include at least several different cycles of different algae.  While it might be tempting to try to use shortcuts I would discourage using any products as they will impact your maturing ecosystem in some way.  I would also encourage you to start adding easy to keep coral species as soon as possible to speed up the maturing process.  If you haven't gotten some quality wild or maricultured live rock I would encourage you to get at least a few pounds, either is an excellent source for cryptic sponges which are also essential for a healthy reef ecosystem.

Timfish, you are right on the money. New tank, about 2 months for the initial set up in a small tank then transferred to a larger tank (120) about 4 weeks ago. My rock/sand is a mix of dried and store bought live rock/sand. There is a mix of snails, hermits, emeralds,  a cleaner shrimp, and a wayward missing/hiding pompom crab. Only 2 fish so far a damsel and scooter blenny, didn’t want to overload while the initial algae was being trimmed. I have a small cluster of Xenias, a single zoa and a small colony of the same, a small mushroom that now has 3 new “blooms”, and a leather. All seem to be doing good.  I have read about the different algae but this color was new to me. 

Thank you for the sharing of the knowledge.  As I was getting concerned about something getting ready to head south.

Looks like you have a green thumb. Thats good. First "peach fuzz" algae is what I call it  Soon it will be long and need a hair cut. Once your tank is mature the balding process will set in and it will not need hair cuts anymore.

+1 to what Timfish said.

You can use limestone rock in a reef set up, but it's not the same as live rock. Texas Holey Rock is dense and not porous like live rock, so it doesn't support colonization of microfauna and you'll have half of the amount of bacterial filtration than a equal size piece of live rock. It also doesn't buffer because calcite dissolves at a much lower pH than calcium carbonate. This makes it good for cichlid tanks, but doesn't help in saltwater.