Filtration advice needed

Tri Pham

Hey guys I’m still in the beginner stages of keeping a reef tank and course use some advise. 

Currently I have a 55, 100 lbs of live rocks,  established tank. But no sump just two massive hob former . I just upgraded to a 75 gal with a built in reef system and was given an Eheim canister filter too. I live in an apartment and am not going to be settip any sumps. 

can you guy let me know what you think of builtin reef system and and would add an Eheim canister to this?

thanks I’ll upload some pics soon

I'm a bit confused also but it sounds like you have soemthing like a Red Sea system that has a filter built into the back of the system.  If so it should work fine but there are advantages to having a sump in the future if you ever move or upgrade.  I wouldn't use the canister filter though, IMO they require more work than they are worth and I certainly haven't needed them on any of my systems I've run.

I had a canister filter on my 125. It was one of these except squarish, left over from freshwater days. Might have been a marineland. I think it had 5 media baskets. I also had a sump and it sucked and returned water to the sump. It was used before I had reactors. It polished water (charcoal and polishing pads) and removed po4 (gfo). You can put what ever media in them you want . They can be useful if you maintain them. I also have a small one I use now on the 55 qt. Adds some flow and allows me to run 1 type of media at a time. Sort of a pain when changing it out from 1 type to another (ie... gfo, to charcoal to filter pads )

http://www.fluvalaquatics.com/ca/product/A214-fx4-high-performance-canister-filter/