20G Waterbox Build

mhart032

So im at an impasse and cant move forward just yet, i have a ton of equipment to install, and very little room.. I have the Apex probe mount, the tunze ATO and the skimmer, the Eshopps 2 part dosing pump hoses the carbon, the marine pure cubes in the bottom.. soooo something has to go.. i cant run the carbon or anything else if i try to use anything else. so what more important? im think the skimmer will have to go and ill have to just do a weekly water change, which i planned on doing anyway. but after reading Timfishs research on water changes and dosing im a little torn.  thoughts? 

• Like 1

So im at an impasse and cant move forward just yet, i have a ton of equipment to install, and very little room.. I have the Apex probe mount, the tunze ATO and the skimmer, the Eshopps 2 part dosing pump hoses the carbon, the marine pure cubes in the bottom.. soooo something has to go.. i cant run the carbon or anything else if i try to use anything else. so what more important? im think the skimmer will have to go and ill have to just do a weekly water change, which i planned on doing anyway. but after reading Timfishs research on water changes and dosing im a little torn.  thoughts? 
Keep the skimmer.
  • Like 1

Everything has been ordered for the extrusion stand, i have installed the skimmer, but the way the waterbox is with the flow from chamber to chamber its build with baffles and the skimmer doesn't really hold well with the magnets due to the gap with the baffles,  i might have to modify the skimmer and put the magnets on the side of the skimmer and mount to the rear glass to get a better connection. its going to be a very tight squeeze to get the apex probe rack and the Tunze ato mounted. I guess no media rack for this tank, id like to use the filter sock on this build that comes standard, but that might be taken out and the media rack placed in the overflow chamber. 

• Like 1

Everything has been ordered for the extrusion stand, i have installed the skimmer, but the way the waterbox is with the flow from chamber to chamber its build with baffles and the skimmer doesn't really hold well with the magnets due to the gap with the baffles,  i might have to modify the skimmer and put the magnets on the side of the skimmer and mount to the rear glass to get a better connection. its going to be a very tight squeeze to get the apex probe rack and the Tunze ato mounted. I guess no media rack for this tank, id like to use the filter sock on this build that comes standard, but that might be taken out and the media rack placed in the overflow chamber. 
Pictures? I have a hard time imagining all of this. My imagination died when I became an adult. [emoji22]

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so quick update, the tank is in full cycle, I have the seneye installed and working to help keep track of the ammonia and all that.  still have a few more days untill it done, but i finally got the mount for the Ecotech Radion and mounted, i have to say the Radion far exceeds the AI Prime with exception to the wireless capabilities. I have the Ecotech Apex module so that wont be an issue for long. All of the Extrusion came in yesterday so ill be building the stand this weekend and replacing the wood stand. I have not installed anything else as i want to wait till the new stand is done and set before i mount everything. 

couple of pics of the tank and new light. 

.20180622_111510.jpg20180622_111644.jpg

• Like 1

I've been playing with this Radion lcd, man this thing is awesome. Im so glad i picked it up. I really felt a little handicapped with the AI was unsure if it was going to get the job done for SPS throughout the entire tank, i have no fear of the Radion the par ratings down to the sand and the spread is awesome 

So i got some strange things going on here, I have been testing ever other day, the seneye has been on for about 5 days, the first day i had a .4 ammonia my nitrate was at .2, no nitrites present. I didn't think anything about it really, yesterday i tested after seneye showed .0 ammonia, .0 Nitrates, and 50 nitrites, for all intensive purposes this would lead me to think the tank has cycled. BUT never had GHA, no Cyano, No detritus, no Dinos, nothing that would indicate the tank was cycling. its looked pristine the entire time. this seems very odd to me, could it be because the Marco rock, i did use carb sea live sand, didn't rinse it used the bacteria to help start it up. I took a sample to the LFS and they cam up with now 0 ammonia, 0 nitrate, 80 nitrites. which if its cycled course i need a 30% water change. but its only been maybe 14 days.  

Your tank is "cycled" when no ammonia or nitrite is measurable and nitrate is present, indicating you have a sufficient amount of nitrifying bacteria available breaking down the ammonia and nitrites.  Cyano, algae, diatoms, etc. are not technically a part of cycling but symptomatic of a new tank. . .sometimes.  Not everyone goes through it.

If your tests are correct than they indicate you have cycled.

I tested again just now, 

Ammonia 0.0

Nitrates  0.1

Nitrites 50

Ill do a big 50% water change as my Alk is very low as well, just to get everything back to stable again. add a chromis and see if my ammonia shoots up again, if so ill know the seneye will alert me with enough time to get the little guy out before any damage is done to him/her. I'm really growing quite fond of this piece of gear, the par/lux meter is pretty handy as well. 

Quick update, levels mellowed out with a 50ish percent water change, everything is in check, i don't care for this FritzPro salt, the alk levels are terribly inaccurate but at the best 8 dkh vs the redsea im used to at 12 or so, think ill be changing pretty quick. i shouldn't have to buff the alk on new salt or even a day later. i ended up with 2 blue green chomis, the 2nd on jumped in the net at the store, guess he wanted to be with his partner, did a fresh water dip and meds for a few mins, acclimated them and they have been good ever since, ate rite away continue to be active with no ill signs. just as a precaution i picked up some prime just incase i needed it, but haven't as of yet. I did realize very quickly that i had to much flow, the poor little chromis couldn't swim lol, they were flying all around the aquarium till then harbored in the rock till i turned it down. its about 1/2 now what i had now and everything seems good. 

20180627_152621.jpg

I got the auto topoff installed today, that should be a big help to increasing proper skimmer control and stability. Im still waiting on a couple brackets for the stand before i can start putting it together. I actually did the math wrong not thinking about it being a square and the same base dimensions of the tank, so it gave me about 6 extra pieces of extrusion so i ordered a couple more and will make a ATO and 2 part box to sit next to the stand and will use the same panels as the tank stand to finish it off so it matches. then i can just use under the tank stand for the electronics and mount them on the back wall of the stand and not have any interference with the resevoirs for the ATO and 2 part. Im not in a big hurry to get everything setup all at once. Im trying to take my time and really think about the setup instead of rushing to get everything done asap. 

9 hours ago, diesel3443 said:

I love that aluminum.  Cant wait to see it all come together. 

Thanks me too, it's super light. I've decided to not move the tank on it quite yet, I'm going to tear it all apart and insert 1/4 inch stained wood paneling of some sort into the extrusions for sides and leave the frame exposed. It has come to my attention that one of my chemical customers we deliver hydrochloric acid and caustic soda in bulk to makes extrusion. Corse now I find this out, they told me I can have whatever I want or need in the future. I dunno why it didnt Dawn on me the name is Western Extrusions in fort worth. Duh! Sometime you can't see the Forrest through the trees. 

On 7/8/2018 at 9:37 AM, FarmerTy said:

What would you say is your total estimated cost for the aluminum stand and all connections? I was always curious if it was cheaper to go aluminum or get a custom 2" steel tube stand welded.

It wasn't to bad, the shipping was really not great, but maybe 150 bucks for this size, please note that I didn't really know what I was doing and it was trial and error, knowing what I know now, I could have gotten it done for around 100. Mind you I ordered everything to size so there was a premium for the individual cuts vs bulk ordering. 

• Like 1