Pacific Coast RPS-1000 Skimmer for sale

defib

I've got a Pacific Coast RPS-1000 Recirculating Protein Skimmer for sale I'd like to get $120 but I will consider reasonable offers. It worked good on my 90 but it wasn't enough for my 180.

Footprint 6" x 11"

I'm located in North Central Austin around Braker and Parfield

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, new to the Austin Reef Club and SW Aquariums period. I am interested in this skimmer, but have a few questions.

Does this skimmer have to sit in a sump or can it sit on the floor by independently?

What additional equipment is required to place this skimmer into operation?

The top of my tank is 5' from the floor and I am interested in placing the skimmer on the floor next to the tank.

Thanks in advance.

You can run it in the sump or out of the sump... If you run it out of the sump you will want to glue the pipe joints of the output plumbing to prevent leaks... I ran it in the sump so they are still unglued.

The only other thing you would need is a small pump to feed water to the skimmer or a way for the water coming from your overflow to go into the skimmer.

The skimmer does need to empty into a sump it wouldn't be able to push the water back up to your tank.

Hi, new to the Austin Reef Club and SW Aquariums period. I am interested in this skimmer, but have a few questions.

Does this skimmer have to sit in a sump or can it sit on the floor by independently?

What additional equipment is required to place this skimmer into operation?

The top of my tank is 5' from the floor and I am interested in placing the skimmer on the floor next to the tank.

Thanks in advance.

Saturday around noon is fine.

I'll send you a message with number and address.

What does your schedule look like this Saturday around noon? I'm coming from College Station so I would prefer a noonish meeting. By the way, I'll take it.

Defib, I recieved the skimmer today, thanks for entertaining my brother and sister in law. Now for the the series of questions. I decided I would go ahead and place the skimmer in a sump and don't totally understand the simple concept here. The top lip of my tank is 5 foot high and the water inlet on the skimmer will be about 4 feet below the top of the tank. Do I need a pump to supply the skimmer or is siphon flow enough. I will drain the skimmer off into the sump and return the water to the main tank with a sufficient sized pump. If I need a pump to supply the skimmer, what size would you recommend based on a 55 gal tank. Check out my first plan and let me know if it will work.

Thanks Again

Troy

post-762-1230445199_thumb.jpg

You don't ever want a "siphon" type flow. If the power went out and your return pump shut off you would still have water flowing into your sump. Shortly there after you would experience the wet floring material issue. :( Been there done that but not for this particular reason. Still dosen't make points with the significant other.

Your best bet is to have a small pump sitting in the sump feed the skimmer.

Is your tank drilled? I.E. is it reef ready? If not you will want to look at getting an overflow box if you don't all ready have one. Here are some examples: Marine Depot Overflows.

I actually use this one on my 30 gallon hex sea horse tank. It's not the nicest but what I like about it is that it comes with a small water pump that will restart the "internal" siphon when the power comes back on after an outage.

So you have the water flowing out of the tank. But only as much as what your return pump puts back into the tank, because overflows are designed such that when the water stops being pumped into the tank they stop taking water out of the tank.

For the most part a safe way to get water out of your tank and into your sump.

The hose that comes from the overflow to the sump you will want to place in a small bucket. This will keep the "dirty" water concentrated for feeding to the skimmer. Inside this bucket place a small water pump to pump water into the skimmer. Then have the water coming out of the skimmer flow into the sump. And then the return pump will pump the "clean" water back up to the tank.

The pump feeding your skimmer should be about 1.5 gph * total water volume. So if you have a tank with 50 gallons and a sump with 20 gallons you would want a pump that is about 105 gallons per hour. If you are using the bucket to catch the dirty water you want to make sure that the return pump will pump more water than the skimmer pump so that the skimmer pump dosen't run dry.

I had good luck feeding the skimmer with a MaxiJet pump. I would suggest the 400 or 600 version for your tank.

Hope that helps answer some questions. Let me know if you need me to clarify anything.

Jonathan

Defib, I recieved the skimmer today, thanks for entertaining my brother and sister in law. Now for the the series of questions. I decided I would go ahead and place the skimmer in a sump and don't totally understand the simple concept here. The top lip of my tank is 5 foot high and the water inlet on the skimmer will be about 4 feet below the top of the tank. Do I need a pump to supply the skimmer or is siphon flow enough. I will drain the skimmer off into the sump and return the water to the main tank with a sufficient sized pump. If I need a pump to supply the skimmer, what size would you recommend based on a 55 gal tank. Check out my first plan and let me know if it will work.

Thanks Again

Troy

post-762-1230445199_thumb.jpg