Dosing

Beaux

Dose anyone know of a youtube video or any other information on calcium, magnesium ect dosing? I can not afford the automatic dosing equipment in all the videos I have seen. 

My tank is so small that I do not belive I would even want to use such equipment, 20 long. Also I only have like 3 or 4 corals that would require dosing.

I understand a little about it, what affects what, balancing ect, but can not find information on doing it by hand. I want what few hard corals to be healthy and thrive.

I really want to learn all I can now so I can feel more confident to set up my next two tanks, a 40 gallon and my 100 gallon after that.

After just relying on regular water changes for over a year and a half now has proven it is not going to sustain the supplements they need. Mainly the calcium. 

I would probably go with the red sea line unless anyone has had better results with another product. 

I have also looked into the 3 in 1 mixtures but with all the variables, I don't feel confident enough to try that route just yet unless other have seen the tried and true results, and it would be easier on me to use that instead of just the three separate ones that I have been told I would need to dose.

I am also in the process of trying to do a diy sump with a 10 gallon tank. I am trying to see what all it will take to get that done.

If anyone has one that they would be willing to part with/sell to me would be a great help. After my second stroke I do not think that I would be able to even attempt a diy project like that on my own. It would be a one hand project due to the permanent loss of mobility to my left side.

Thank you victoly for your reply. 

I am researching kalk now and it does seem like it would be a good choice for my current tank.

Thank you again for the advice!

Keep in mind even though calcium, alkalinity, magnesium and pH are related and influence each other they are capable of moving independantly depending on what the biology in your system is doing.  Don't be surprised if after months or years of following a particular regimen it no longer is adequiate.   I would advise testing alk and pH weekly and calcium and magnesium weekly at first and at least monthly if your system seems to be running on "autopilot".   Everybody has their favorite numbers however reef systems often are fine with less than "ideal" numbers, let your animals be a factor in how to respond.   And the best dosing method is the one you find easiest to do consistantly, personally I do very little dosing and like using autofeeders to dump small amounts daily if once weekly with water changes isn't enough.

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, stoneroller said:

Dosing Kalkwasser that way?

Guess I should have clarified that a bit.  I use baking soda or buffer plus or aragamight (although it's almost impossible to find that anymore) or a straight calcium carbonate, depending on what's needed.  I set the autofeeder to drop it in a quiet or calm area of a sump.   The times I've needed to add magnesium just mixing it in with new saltwater for water changes has worked well.  I never use kalkwasser.

Archived