Family Hospitalized after palytoxin gets in the air!

Juiceman

I'm just a rookie compared to that guy. I only took down me and the dog.

Just a reminder, it doesn't just happen in places far away. I went to the ER myself. It was excruciating. I don't mess with palys anymore. Everyone be careful.

Hum xenia have diterpenes. Not sure which ones. So does coffee. Coffee diterpenes, cafestol and kahweol in particular. These molecules are composed of a diterpenic nucleus, heterocyclic furan, and a glycone chain. They are known for their anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-cancer properties. Being a Fox news story, has me wondering about fact checking.

39 minutes ago, Dogfish said:

Hum xenia have diterpenes. Not sure which ones. So does coffee. Coffee diterpenes, cafestol and kahweol in particular. These molecules are composed of a diterpenic nucleus, heterocyclic furan, and a glycone chain. They are known for their anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-cancer properties. Being a Fox news story, has me wondering about fact checking.

msnbc linked it first yesterday, why is everything political?

• Like 2

Not political. Im just leary of any stories not backed up by real facts. Be it NBC, CBN or what ever. I would like to see the hospital report and some physical evidence of his tank livestock.I think I saw the story on slashdot last Friday.

12 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:

Thanks for that.  Scary stuff.  Glad you made it through or I wouldn't have this cool Oregon Tort or Efflo now.  :P

• Like 1

Thanks for that.  Scary stuff.  Glad you made it through or I wouldn't have this cool Oregon Tort or Efflo now.  [emoji14]
In my will is to disseminate my coral collection to the members of ARC. You might have still got a piece. [emoji4]

Oh wait, I shouldn't have said anything. There is going to be a price on my head now. [emoji27]

4 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:

Oh wait, I shouldn't have said anything. There is going to be a price on my head now. emoji27.png

The usual, mortimor?

Edited by Isaac
commas matter
  • Like 1

I want to start off by reiterating the importance of personal safety when dealing with our tank inhabitants.  Palytoxin is a VERY STABLE toxin and is heat tolerant.  NEVER HEAT UP ANY THING FROM AN AQUARIUM!!!!!  When aquarists talk about "cooking" live rock they do not mean it literally!  It's just jargon referring to quarantining and "cycling".  Additionally be very careful when drilling or cutting corals or rock to minimize aerosolizing palytoxin.

Now on to my thoughts, note the phrase "power wash" a little way into the story.  No further details are given but seems like some method was used that did a decent job of creating a palytoxin laden mist.  To help put some of the hype in perspective people do die from palytoxin every year but it's from eating seafood.  (How often do we hear about that?) 

The FDA published a paper that looked at different zoas/palies and the majority didn't have much or any at all.  The paper does have pictures and the palies in question had a mottled pattern consistant with the several types of "trash" pallies floating around.  What I've seen in my tanks which has motivated me to avoid the "Texas Trash" and blue/green "trash" varieties is a similarity to the CDC pictures and seeing aiptaisa eating filefish avoid the "trash" types while chomping away on more colorful zoas (much to my dismay!).  Additionally palytoxin is not made by pallies but by a dinoflagellate and/or bacteria and can be found pretty much anywhere.  This paper looked at multiple species of corals and fish and found palytoxin levels higher in Sarcophyton (toadstool, leather), Sinularia (leather, soft) and gorgonian (GSP) species than in Palythoa species.  One has to wonder why we're not seeing stories about cutting up leather corals.

I had one of those cabbage leathers knocked off a ledge by an urchin in the middle of the night. The next morning grabbed it with my hand and placed it back on the ledge. It had a bunch of slime released because it was not happy being upside down. My hand tingled for 2 days.