Anacropora vs Acropora, What are the differences?

I have both.  I feel that the anacropora fits somewhere between a monitipora digitata and an acropora.  The anacropora grows faster than my acropora, and it seems quite a bit less finicky.  The growth seems to be more open and random than acropora too.  The anacropora does not seem to be interested in encrusting at the base at all.

I have both.  I feel that the anacropora fits somewhere between a monitipora digitata and an acropora.  The anacropora grows faster than my acropora, and it seems quite a bit less finicky.  The growth seems to be more open and random than acropora too.  The anacropora does not seem to be interested in encrusting at the base at all.
Thanks Jolt. I've never kept an anacropora before so I appreciate you sharing your experience with them. I currently have one on order and this info is greatly useful!

@Vernon Saunders  You should know the different Anacropora species, like acros and montis and most other coral genus, are found in different and sometimes mutually exclusive environments.  Anacropora forbesi is likely the species you have as it's found in shallow, turbid and deep water environs where as it's sibling species are found in more restricted habitats.

@victoly  At $700 for Wallace's "Staghorns of the World" I suspect there will be some "discusion" over which ARC member should be caretaker.  Until then we'll have to settle with Veron's "Corals of the World" and  the Australian Institute of Marine Science's data base http://coral.aims.gov.au/info/search.jsp

How thick is that $700 book? 

@Timfish thanks for the added information. The issue with being new to SPS corals is there are lots of questions and the collective knowledge is great... Also I like that people post links to the source info so that I can read it more in depth and learn more.

5 hours ago, victoly said:

its about 2". just picked it upp today

did you put it back down, or are you gonna start a "viewing" calendar and charge a "reading fee?"

1 hour ago, FarmerTy said:

Me too. I was thinking like Webster's Dictionary!

Glad I wasn't the only one who was thinking it. 

48 minutes ago, Isaac said:

did you put it back down, or are you gonna start a "viewing" calendar and charge a "reading fee?"

I am also curious about this.

Archived