Flea fog

luckystrike

So my apartment has unfortunatelyh become infested with fleas. I have all the animals on advantage so not sure how it happened but now the flea's are eat at me. I really hate to do the flea fog as my reef tank is open top an in the main room. Ive already tried various furnature sprays and carpet powders to no avail. Does anyone have any other ideas? or If not, I'm thinking a large plastic drop cloth over the tank and then tied around the bottom should keep it safe, does this sound safe enough?

Try diatomaceous earth. It's a powder you can put on your carpet, pets and any unpaved areas you may walk on. Just don't breathe it in directly or your pet either. Then vacuum it up. It takes a little longer to work, maybe a few days but I've used it in the past to get rid of some really bad flea infestations. You can also get food grade and mix it in your animals food to rid the of certain worms. Farmers use this in cattle food all the time. I think you can get it at Bark n Purr. That where I got the food grade type. What it does is put tiny holes in the fleas so they dehydrate and die. You may have to treat more than once to get the eggs. Oh, as long as you don't get any in your tank everything will be fine.

HTH

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried the diatomateous earth before. It did work to some degree but was way messy, and It didnt resolve the problem, just lessened it. As far as professionals go...I'm a college student who just lost my job...i have enough problems paying rent and bills and maintaining the tank as it is, let alone paying a professional, I guess what I am asking is if my idea with the drop cloth and tying it off around the bottom sounds like it would work, or does someone see a flaw in it?

I think a fogger will find it's way around a drop cloth. There is a guy on here that is an exterminator. I have traded corals for treatments. He may work something out with you. His name is Stephan but I am not sure of his screen name.

I think the fogger would find it's way into your tank as well. If you are in an apartment complex, the fleas may not be coming from your apartment. Untl the building sprays all the tennant's apartments in and around the building, you may still have a problem. Try to keep humidity and temps low. If you need a place to set up a temporary space for a few days, you can store some things here.