Ich outbreak

So i recently had a ich outbreak and lost 3 of the 6 fish i had one by one and now I'm too scared to buy more fish cause i don't know if there's something i should do beforehand. I had a volitan lionfish, fuzzy dwarf lionfish, a blue spot puffer, and a sailfin tang which was the one originally getting ich occasionally and just naturally fighting it off. Then i bought a blue throat trigger and a potters angel. Everyone did great for a week then out of nowhere the trigger, the angel, and the tang got infested with ich and died one after the other. It's been 3 weeks and the 2 lionfish and puffer are great. Any advice before i decide to get more fish?

For sure you still have ich in the tank and any new fish have very good chances of catching it.  If it were me I would pull the remaining fish out, put them in a quarantine tank and treat them for ich.  And let the display tank go fishless for 72 days.  There are a few ways to treat for ich including copper treatment and tank transfer method, but none are recommended in the display tank.  I would not not put any new fish in the display tank until you have at least observed them for 30 days in a quarantine to make sure they are OK.  Personally I proactively treat them for Ich and worms while in QT, but not everyone agrees this is needed.  

I know others have different experience/opinions with ich and hopefully they can give some alternatives to the above ...

+1 

I prefer to use oversized UVs on my QT as it's a lot less stress on fish than copper or triple tank transfer (some fish are sensitive to copper).  In my experience a properly installed UV with an adequate kill rate will clear DT of ick but it is a more expensive and I would not go that route if leaving a system empty of fish is an option. 

Do you have a picture of an infected fish? Sounds more like marine velvet if it killed that fast. Since you're fish-only, you may be able to do an in-tank treatment but I'm not familiar with fish-only tanks so you may want to research that a bit.

Yea i don't have a QT tank unfortunately, not enough room. And yea my tank is a fish only. Now I'm kinda confused tho cause last night i found my dwarf lionfish nearly dead cause the puffer beat him up so now I'm wondering if the only reason my previous fish died is cause i have an unexpected aggressive fish stressing everyone out even tho he's supposed to be peaceful 

Hey Blade123,

Can you tell us more about your set up? I see you're asking questions about on-line fish etc. Seems the first thing to do is get control of your system. A 10 gallon quarantine tank doesn't need to be fancy or take up tremendous room and is way better than having fish dying. How large is your DT? How long has it been set up? What all is it stocked with? 

Cheers,

Paula

13 minutes ago, Paula said:

Hey Blade123,

Can you tell us more about your set up? I see you're asking questions about on-line fish etc. Seems the first thing to do is get control of your system. A 10 gallon quarantine tank doesn't need to be fancy or take up tremendous room and is way better than having fish dying. How large is your DT? How long has it been set up? What all is it stocked with? 

Cheers,

Paula

It's about 80-90 gallons including sump. Been set up for about 4 months. Right now all i have in it is my blue spot puffer and the volitan lionfish. I took my dwarf lionfish out and put him in my little 30 gallon reef tank since the puffer tore him up. I would post pictures of my setup but can't figure it out

It's about 80-90 gallons including sump. Been set up for about 4 months. Right now all i have in it is my blue spot puffer and the volitan lionfish. I took my dwarf lionfish out and put him in my little 30 gallon reef tank since the puffer tore him up. I would post pictures of my setup but can't figure it out
I use the tapatalk app on my phone since I take all pictures with my phone anyways.

Archived