How to build a sump/refugium

AndrewT

Im wanting to build a sump for my tank to make water changes a little easier, but i have very limited space under my tank. Im wanting to make something that will function as both a sump and refugium. Anyone have a diagram on how to make one. what will i need to purchase to make one. Thanks

melevsreef.com, a tank for fuge/sump, some glass panels for dividers, some silicone, PVC & glue for plumbing, return pump, and an overflow if your tank isn't reef ready/drilled.

Check on RC too, lots of DIY fuge/sumps.

I'll be following along too, I am planning on doing one soon myself, so take lots of pics! If you do it during the week, I might be able to help with the build.

I'll second the using glass. Once you decide on the tank, just get some glass cut and silicone it in. I built a sump/refugium for my tank for about $40, including the 20L aquarium. It's not difficult.

Wow for only 40 bucks... You must show me the way. lol where is the cheapest place to buy a return pump how many gallons should it pump an hour for my 55g?

You would probably want about 500 GPH running through your sump. So a Mag 5 or similar would work. Mag 5 are cheap but they will add heat to your tank. So you may need to add fans depending on the temp your tank is running at. The Ehiem 1260 is 600 GPH and a solid pump that will add much less heat. They are just more expensive.