lighting schedual??????

AndrewT

my tank is being over run with algae!!! I dont have much of a clean up crew which i know isnt helping. I have 3 emerld crabs 5 or 6 hermits, and 5 snails. I curently run my lights for about 8 hrs with actintics an hour before and an hour after the 10k. I only have 3 fish and i make sure not to over feed. I have one baby lta too. No refugium or sump.... im working on it. what can i do to slow the algae down or get rid of it.

I kinda figured that my clean up crew was in need of an upgrade. Im still fairly new to the hobby the though so Im still learning and have lots of questons.ARC has definetly been the biggest help by far. So w/ the lights..... 10k for 4 hours actintics for 2? what snails and hermits will work best to control algae and maybe help reduce my nitrates??????

No, 6 hours for your daylights. You can have your actinics come on an hour before and stay on an hour after to give a dawn/dusk effect.

I personally really like Ceriths. They will work on the sand, rocks and glass. I have a mix of Ceriths, Nassarius, and Astreas. With a few blue leg hermits thrown in. There is no such thing as a snail that will lower Nitrates. The elevated Nitrates is contributing to your algae growth. I think I read in another thread that you are running a canister filter. If so that may be partially to blame. Also overfeeding will increase them. I saw you are trying to set up a Sump/refugium. You could start growing some macro algae in there and that will help reduce them as well.

Im def gonna look into upgrading my crew pretty soon. This def is not a hobby for a strugling college student, but im doing my best. All parameters seem to be in check with the exception of my nitrates. Ussually I feed once every other day and make sure to feed just enough so that none falls in sand or on rocks. I i just need to get rid of the algae and lower the nitrates. I gues what i meant by snails and hermits that would lower nitrates was which are the most efective and proficient to clean the tank. I asumed by them cleaning the tank the nitrates would drop a little???? Is that true????

If they are catching any food that falls or eat detritus. That is why I like having a variety of crew since they eat a slightly different diet. I know what you mean about being on a budget. I hate to say it but an online order for your crew will probably be your best bet. I usually try to support the local stores.