RODI recs and question

Paula

So, I'm considering getting an RODI for Black Friday. Up til now, I've been buying RO from Aquatek. It's a bit of a chore and the cost adds up. I'm going through about 20-25 gallons every two weeks between water changes and kalkwasser. I was looking at this 4 stage unit which is on sale at BRS.

BRS 75 gallon 4 stage RO/DI  for $94.00. Would it be adequate for Austin water? 

Thanks in advance,

Paula

Also a shout out to Jen_H. I picked up a RBTA from her earlier today which is now being acclimated (1/2 hour temp float and now the slow drip!)

OK, so doing a little research. Austin uses Chloramines. Looks like 6 stage is what is recommended. If I add the upgrade kit, it still come out cheaper than starting with the 6 stage unit by itself.

BRS 4 stage to 6 stage upgrade kit for $84.99

BRS 75 gallon/day 6 stage RO/DI $195.49

Any thoughts? I'm needing to be a little mindful of money this close to the holidays.

Cheers,

Paula

I'd definitely have 6 stages, no matter which way you get them.

1)Prefilter 5 or 1 micron
2)chloramines filter (or catalytic carbon)
3)chlorplus carbon filter
4) membrane (spectrapure membrane has the best rejection rate)
5) DI
6) Another DI

If you can add another membrane, it'll save on wastewater and make water super fast (150 gpd vs 75 gpd).

33 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:

I'd definitely have 6 stages, no matter which way you get them.

1)Prefilter 5 or 1 micron
2)chloramines filter (or catalytic carbon)
3)chlorplus carbon filter
4) membrane (spectrapure membrane has the best rejection rate)
5) DI
6) Another DI

If you can add another membrane, it'll save on wastewater and make water super fast (150 gpd vs 75 gpd).

Thanks Ty! I ended up placing an order for the 4 stage with the 4 to 6 stage upgrade. I can add another membrane in the future. $175 was about the limit for my budget today.

Just because inquiring minds want to know, what is the TDS of Austin water out of the tap?

Just because inquiring minds want to know, what is the TDS of Austin water out of the tap?

The Austin Water Quality Report for Austin doesn't give just one number for TDSs. Instead it breaks it down into constituent parts.

The most recent report is for September and can be found here.

http://www.austintexas.gov/department/water-quality-reports-major-industrial-users

It makes for interesting reading.

Cheers,

Paula

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

TDS in Austin tapwater can be 400 -450.   Since most of it's calcium I don't worry about it too much.  Most of my systems get just RO, some tap w/ dechlorinator and one gets RO/DI.   This system is one using just tap.   If you feel more comfortable using RO or RO/DI by all means get one but you can have nice reef systems without them and the ammonia and PO4 that's removed by them can be a source of food for corals.

9 hours ago, Timfish said:

TDS in Austin tapwater can be 400 -450.   Since most of it's calcium I don't worry about it too much.  Most of my systems get just RO, some tap w/ dechlorinator and one gets RO/DI.   This system is one using just tap.   If you feel more comfortable using RO or RO/DI by all means get one but you can have nice reef systems without them and the ammonia and PO4 that's removed by them can be a source of food for corals.

Thanks. I have a rainwater collection system for the house. No well or city water. With a tds meter it reads 18ppm. This is out of the tap (drinking water) after going thru  4 sediment and 1 charcoal filter and the UV unit. I was just curious what northerners were drinking.

Archived