Strange Snail?

renman303

I'm going to try and take a pic so, I know this is harder without one but, my digital camera is a small pocket one and I can't zoom in enough with out it blurring.

Anyway, I have a couple (2 now that I've found) snails that are identical in shape to a "Cerith" but, are snow white in color and have brilliant, pinpoint, black dots? Only about 1/4" in length.

Waaaaaa Daaaaaa.....is it, them, they, ahhhh?

Bueller......Anyone....

;)

Hey Andrew,

Actually the only thing I'm sure of is nothing! ha ha. The pic that you sent is the same shape as it the Cerith but look that the description of the Cerith on the link that I posted. The pic clearly shows pinpoint black dots on the shell. This is exactly what mine look like. They don't ever appear to be near my clams but, I will keep an eye out. Most of the time they are on the LR. I was concerned that they may be pyramidal's but they more closely resemble the Cerith. I could be wrong...it's happened once before!

Maybe you can bring that Bad A_ _ Nikon over and zoom in for a couple of pics? My little Olympus pocket digital is good for nothing smaller than a human. ;)

Without seeing a pic, nothing is ever for sure, but Cerith's do reproduce. They usually stay in sand much of time and come out on rocks to graze (same thing they do in wild). They do reproduce quite easily in aquariums. If they are the dreaded pyramid snails they drill a hole in the shell (like most mollusks that prey on other mollusks) and they are basically only eliminated by not having clams for a long time in the tank. The wrasses that do eat them, forage during day and these guys are more active at night.

Lee

I don't know if it is the same or not but it looks close to what you have.

This tiny snail is a predator of zoanthids, and may be tough to see in your tank. Watch your zoos closely at night for this Sundial Snail, and if you discover one be quick to remove it. For the next few days & weeks, keep watching when the zoos are closed up, in case any baby pyramid snails appear. Discussion and more images on ReefCentral.com Not reef-safe!

post-520-1219720964_thumb.jpg

Edited by JBoy251

JBoy,

Same colors as the snail you have posted but the shells on the ones in my tank are conical from front to back and not left to right, so to speak, much like a Cerith.

According to the picture in Julian Sprung's book- "Invertabrates", it's a cerith snail.

I'm almost certain it's a Cerith now. I saw about three of them on the LR yesterday. I pulled one out of the tank and placed it in a shallow pool of water in the lid of my Buffer and tried to take a pic. Alas, my camera's just won't do "Macro" type shots. They just came out blurry. I have not added any LR since the tank was up the First of July (doen't mean I didn't have a hitchhiker) and most of the LR came from my previous 55 gal.

If they are Cerith as I suspect, they are reproducing at an incredible rate! I may have some to sell in the coming months. Watch this space...