I’d plz

Christyef

I got this from Timfish at c4 and it’s not been happy lately. Naturally, I don’t remember exactly what he called it, but I want to know bc maybe I’m doing something wrong and pissing it offcb571dfdd98c8ec369b37d8a88275d56.jpg. Hard to get a good picture, but see how the stem is all brown and funky?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It should be standing up, is it just floppy, or has the stalk grafted to the rock? The leather I have has a hard stalk that is usually standing up. I've only seen mine go floppy once, but it recovered after about a week of laying over. Does it feel mushy if you touch it? or is it still firm? As long as its still somewhat firm and not mushy I would just give it some time and maybe a bit more flow. The polyps look like they are coming out some, so that's a good sign. It might just be getting ready to shed. I noticed it looks to be near the bottom of the tank, would you say that its getting low, or medium lighting? Mine and from what I've read online say they like medium to high lighting.

I'm not too sure what type of Sarcophyton you have, but it looks similar to the Richards Lone star Japanese leather for sale on the forum. The one I have was sold to me as a Tyree green toadstool with long green tipped polyps and pink flesh. So my experience with them might be a bit different.

IMG_2053.JPG

It should be standing up, is it just floppy, or has the stalk grafted to the rock? The leather I have has a hard stalk that is usually standing up. I've only seen mine go floppy once, but it recovered after about a week of laying over. Does it feel mushy if you touch it? or is it still firm? As long as its still somewhat firm and not mushy I would just give it some time and maybe a bit more flow. The polyps look like they are coming out some, so that's a good sign. It might just be getting ready to shed. I noticed it looks to be near the bottom of the tank, would you say that its getting low, or medium lighting? Mine and from what I've read online say they like medium to high lighting.
I'm not too sure what type of Sarcophyton you have, but it looks similar to the Richards Lone star Japanese leather for sale on the forum. The one I have was sold to me as a Tyree green toadstool with long green tipped polyps and pink flesh. So my experience with them might be a bit different.

IMG_2053.thumb.JPG.0fc2b0bff4e5f9c60af6528455114682.JPG

It is grafted to the rock and the stem is brown and sloughing off. It’s been down at the bottom of my tank for months. There is good flow down there bc the powerheads both bounce off the glass down there. My rocks are rodded so removing the one it’s attached to would require destroying the whole tank. Not going to happen. [emoji6]. I can try to remove it, cut it, or leave it.... [emoji848]

Has the polyps always been short like that or is that something recent? If it were me and its already been down there for several months looking like it does in the photo I would cut and try it a bit higher. I haven't attempted this myself yet, but I've read that you can cut the head off a sarcophyton at the stalk and it will reattach itself in a couple of weeks similar to a lot of softies like kenya trees. I can send you a link with a lot of info about sarcophytons. I don't yet know what the rules are about posting links to other websites.

I would use either a razor blade, scalpel, or a sharp pair of scissors to get as clean of a cut as possible and run some carbon for a day to catch any toxins the coral will secrete when you cut it. If you wanted to prevent some of this getting into the water use a turkey baster when cutting it or a hose to siphon out the water around where you are cutting with your pump/powerheads off.

To get it to attach to rock some people will use rubber bands wrapped loosely around the coral and rock. I've done this in the past with mushrooms like rhodactis to get the foot to attach and it works, but sometimes had to redo it as it would slip out.

What I would do differently now is to get a cheap mesh loofah from the dollar store or whatever. Take it apart and cut a single layer section out of that to wrap around the leather and what ever rock I would want the leather to attach to and use a ziptie to tie up the mesh, then remove the mesh once the leather is attached. You could try to get it to attach to a smaller piece of rock so you can move it around to find an area that its happy in then glue the rock with the leather to your main structure.

The tyree toadstool you showed earlier looks like one I have several frags of also. They’re all extended and happy as yours seems to be. The polyps on the unhappy one do come out, but they seem to be more nubby. Not “flowery” on the ends. I’ll watch it some more and see if i think it might be happier elsewhere. Thanks for all your help. [emoji5]. Can I see pix of your itty bitty tank?

It doesn't like the lighting.  It's migrating away from the light from where it initally attached.  Do you run mostly actinic? It's going to want more white than blue. How long do you run your lights?

It doesn't like the lighting.  It's migrating away from the light from where it initally attached.  Do you run mostly actinic? It's going to want more white than blue. How long do you run your lights?

By “away from the light” do you mean I should try to remove it and shade it? It’s currently at the lowest part of my tank. My LEDs are 75% blue, 30% white. I have them ramped down a bit as to not fry the frags I got from Ty at the meeting on Saturday.

What's the wattage of your fixture?   My suspicion is you have way to much blue light for most corals to thrive.  Using this toadstool as an example it's green coloration is from fluorescing proteins it makes to get rid of blue light.  It's impossible for me to say with any certainty without having a better idea of how much light your tank is actually getting but I would suggest experiementing with initially much less blue light and maybe more white than blue.  Keep in mind it takes weeks to months for corals to adjust their fluorescing and chromo proteins to changes in lighting conditions so keep track of the changes you make and the time you waited between changes.  I would also suggest increasing the frequency and/or amount of water changes, it looks like you have a mix of cyano and other nuisance algae and it will react faster to changes than your corals.  To limit or slow it down I would be siphoning it off more aggressively. 

What's the wattage of your fixture?   My suspicion is you have way to much blue light for most corals to thrive.  Using this toadstool as an example it's green coloration is from fluorescing proteins it makes to get rid of blue light. 

....but I would suggest experiementing with initially much less blue light and maybe more white than blue.

Timfish, you always give me a lot to think about.

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I agree, Paula. I love Tim and everyone and how smart they all are. AND how patient they are and take the time to hold my hand through things. [emoji12][emoji12]. Great group of people!!

On 11/17/2017 at 8:48 AM, Paula said:

Thanks!

On 11/17/2017 at 9:16 AM, Christyef said:

I agree, Paula. I love Tim and everyone and how smart they all are. AND how patient they are and take the time to hold my hand through things. emoji12.pngemoji12.png. Great group of people!!

Thank You!  :smile:  It helps keep our brains young!  I'm expecting my reefs to help me live forever!  :grin:

Archived